Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to whitewash my outdoor pavers?

cazbamford
Finding My Feet

How to whitewash my outdoor pavers?

IMG_1638.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: how do i go about white washing my outdoor pavers

Afternoon @cazbamford 

First up Id like to offer a warm hello :smile: Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Its a fun place to take a stroll through the pages and also peoples questions.

A couple of questions, 

By whitewash do you mean that washed out white you see sometimes on old furniture?

Or do you mean painting the pavers a colour?

Are you also going to paint the concrete next to the pavers?

If its painting the pavers something to consider before you start is the reflectivness of the paint. I didnt know it existed until I painted my patio and yeah it made a difference in getting paint that reflected less.

Dave

Hi Dave

I mean paint them white, but give it a slighty washed look - so like a lime wash - not a hard out white 

and its soil next to the pavers not concrete - and that will be full of plants 

i am also going to be painting the fence you can see in the picture 

Which paint did you use for your patio ?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @cazbamford 

That would look pretty nice I must admit :smile:

Whoops to the "soil" lol That will cool the yard down nicely!

The paint I used was 

Concrete paint.jpg

I didnt get it through Bunnings tho. I did a lot of looking and trying to figure the best way to go forward as the patio had old paint that I had removed.

I dont like paint on concret as one day it will have to be removed/redone :smile: But thats me. The concrete patio paint from Bunnings had 3 steps to do the job, this one was only two coats of the paint. It came up nicely and refelcts a lot less then the yellow/white/cream paint that was on the patio before. (You can feel the difference as you walk into the house)

With the pavers, I am not sure how I would paint them especially taking into consideration of moisture coming up through the paver itself? I am sure one of teh other members will have experience in that tho :smile:

Dave

Cheers - where did you get that paint from ??

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @cazbamford 

It was from a local paint supplier (also that wa sthe smallest can I could buy) , if you check the name out of the can and have a look they will tell you if there is a local company that sells it near you. It just feels wierd to put external links into the Bunnings page :smile: I dont think its frowned upon but "wiggles hand" for fairness :smile:

Dave

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Re: How to whitewash my outdoor pavers?

Hi @cazbamford 

I lime washed my brick house  and it does look great. Only thing to be mindful of is when it rains the lime washing almost vanishes. It comes back as soon as it drys but is unnoticeable in the rain/ when wet. I do have gray/white bricks so not sure how different it would be on red bricks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cazbamford 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about whitewashing your outdoor pavers.

I suggest having a look at these discussions - Help to lime/whitewash driveway by @krawson and How to whitewash red brick paving? by @MaggieJ. You'll find in the discussions some fantastic suggestions on how to achieve the look you are going for.

My best advice is to make sure that the surface of your outdoor pavers are totally clean and dry before applying any of the products. Keep in mind that you are technically painting over a horizontal surface which means that its subject to dirt and debris being blown in. It will also get scuffed by shoes and furniture being dragged over it, periodic maintenance will be necessary.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects