Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to varnish faded Bamboo fencing and Merbu Seating.

ChuckySA
Finding My Feet

How to varnish faded Bamboo fencing and Merbu Seating.

20230914_122413.jpg

20230914_122419.jpg

20230914_122424.jpg

Hi wondering what I can use to varnish bamboo fencing that is a bit faded. I also have some seating that is made out of Merbu slats which is faded as well. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to varnish faded Bamboo fencing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ChuckySA. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

You might want to share a few photos of your bamboo fencing and seating so members can see what you are working with. It will also be important to know whether each has anything currently on them to protect the timber as particularly in the case of the seating, you might want to sand it back first to get a great result before staining. 

One of our ever-knowledgable Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL will be happy to suggest products to use when he is back on the site later today.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank You Jason. I've just uploaded images. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ChuckySA 

Thank you so much for sharing those photos of your bamboo fence. Bamboo behaves pretty much the same way as timber, this means that the old varnish sealer has to be sanded away before you apply a new sealer such as Bondall 1L Teak Monocel Gold Marine Grade Stain And Varnish. This is a stain and varnish combination which makes it easier to paint the bamboo.

The same thing can be used on your merbau seating. Please keep in mind that all the old stains and sealers must be sanded off before you put new sealers on either the bamboo fence or merbau seating. I recommend using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll on both the bamboo and merbau timber.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects