Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use a plastic bath as a pond for fish?

CherBear
Just Starting Out

How to use a plastic bath as a pond for fish?

Hi there

I am wanting to construct a pond using an old plastic bath.  Would Crommelins pond sealer be the best product for this surface? There are no cracks and only the plug to seal up separately.  I need it to be safe for fish.  Many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use a plastic bath as a pond for fish?

Hello @CherBear 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about using a plastic bath for a pond.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a garden pond. It should give you a general idea of how to prepare and install a plastic container as a pond. In regards to using a pond sealer on your plastic bath, it will probably not be compatible due to the smooth surface of the bath. It is made to go on rough cementitious surfaces.

I don't think it will be necessary to coat the bath in a sealer. However, the only drawback that I see in using this container is its lack of UV protection. A plastic bath is often used indoors and is not designed to be left outdoors for long periods of time. If it is, it will usually deteriorate, and the plastic becomes brittle and easy to crack.

I suggest thinking about using an AQUAPRO 910 Round Feature Poly Pond. It is made with low density polyethylene, and a robust design that comes with a 20 Year Australian UV guarantee.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects