Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update Pebblecrete around my pool?

RMP
Finding My Feet

How to update Pebblecrete around my pool?

My 1980/90’s swimming pool is in much need of an update. I don’t have the cash to undertake a complete redesign or develop of pool and surrounding area. I am looking for some cost effective options to update the Pebble Crete to at least visually look nicer and blend in with the surrounding area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

IMG_0428.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to modernise pebble crete pool surround

Hi @RMP

Only today I filled a  nieghbours pebble crete white a strong cement sand  mix in a 2x 3 m area ready for concrete grinding like I did to another  small area, So they ended up  with  colourful ground  concrete slab but this  maybe to slippery around your pool unless your willing to add non slip additive to sealer coats.  I used a  big  angle grinder.  But I just returned a stand up  conrete grinder I used on marble tiles in BBQ area, $320 hire for  3 days. across new years day.

Tip  when hiring ,  Some hire companies are closed sunday so if you hire saterday for 24Hours your can  return it monday morning before 9am usually. and get two day hire.

Outdoor carpet?  Whats the go on artificial turf around  pools? I never thought of that option before.

key Option B the area is flat ready to go add floor leveler and tile over the top.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RMP. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about refreshing Pebblecrete.

I am unaware of any budget-friendly ways to improve the look of Pebblecrete. Currently, it appears rather discoloured, so you might see a decent improvement by using an outdoor cleaning product and a pressure washer on it.

Regarding coating over the Pebblecrete, there are no manufacturers I'm aware of that warrant their coating over it. It uses an epoxy (plastic) to bind the pebbles together, and most cement-based products are not designed to adhere to it.

I like @Jewelleryrescue's idea of using synthetic turf around the pool. @ProjectPete effectively used it with his Poolside fence makeover and Poolside timber cabana with concrete bench. Selectively covering some of your Pebblecrete could create an effective feature and divide the expanse of it.

A bit more than a budget build, but you could consider decking up to the pool on some or all sides. If you were to do the work yourself, it could be a reasonably cost-effective process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for responding, most helpful.

Thank you Mitchell some great ideas to help me on my way.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects