Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support a wobbling Colorbond fence?

zillah
Finding My Feet

How to support a wobbling Colorbond fence?

Hi

Our backyard colourbond fence located on a busy road and it wobbles when cars drive pass it and when it is windy as well.

It's colourbond and with 8 posts concreted in but the whole length of fence (7 panels x 2.3 = 16m) does like a wave as the wind hits it.

I bought two 2400mm metal Star picket stakes for temporary support.

The fence is screwed to a timber boards on ground as can be seen on the attached pictures and they rotted

How can I brace it properly to avoid its falling ?

Thx

IMG_5735.jpgIMG_5736.jpgIMG_5737.jpgIMG_5738.jpgIMG_5739.jpgIMG_5740.jpgIMG_5742.jpgIMG_5743.jpgIMG_5745.jpgIMG_5746.jpgIMG_5747.jpgIMG_5748.jpgIMG_5750.jpgIMG_5751.jpgIMG_5752.jpg

Thx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zillah. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about supporting a Colorbond fence.

It sounds like you need to install some solid posts that can then be attached to the fence. I'd recommend using Australian Handyman Supplies 50 x 50mm x 2.4m Galvanised Steel Fence Posts and concreting them into the ground with sizable footers. 350 x 350 x 450mm would likely be suitable for the footer. I'd recommend at least one post per two panels. Ideally, it would be best to position these new posts next to the old posts, but the old posts' footers won't let you get close enough. You'll need to install them mid-panel and fix the top and bottom rails to them.

Did you have any success with the Star pickets? If so, you could potentially use several more of them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Thx Mitchel

Appreciate the informative details

>>Did you have any success with the Star pickets? If so, you could potentially use several more of them.<<

i didn't feel they are sturdy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects