Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water seeping in from front door?

Renes
Getting Established

How to stop water seeping in from front door?

How else can i stop water from coming in through my front door from underneath. I have door seal on my door which was done recently. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front door

Hi @Renes,

You'll need to post some images of the door and surrounds so our members can better understand what you're working with. This will allow them to provide informed recommendations that will assist in resolving the issue. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images. Also, if you can identify where on the door the water is entering, that would be helpful.

If your door is exposed to the weather and a door seal has proved ineffective, then you might like to consider adding a canopy over it to prevent rain from hitting the doorsill directly.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renes
Getting Established

Thanks for replying Mitchell. I hv attached some pictures..hopefully u can give me some ideas. I just put on weather strip as u can see in the picture. So i m not sure if it helps.

16840304454515269714092378568682.jpg

16840304769922142463481148050624.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Can you tell where the water is coming in @Renes? Are you sure it's entering under the door between the two seals you've placed there and not through the door sill, as indicated below? If water is pooling on the door sill's exterior, it could penetrate under the timber instead of under the door. It looks like there is a bit of a catchment zone outside the door sill, with a raised section of timber about 20cm away from it. Does water build up in this area? A door sill should be sloped away from the door so any rain that lands on it can run off in the opposite direction to the door.

Mitchell

Renes
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

When there s rain , the water tends to sit on the door sill so when i opened the door the water will come through....with the severe storm, i could see water come through under the door when i was inside. I don t think my door sill has a slope.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Renes,

This raised section is stopping the water from flowing away, and unless it can flow around somehow, it will form a pool. In high winds, the pool of water will be blown back under your door. You need to try and remove this raised section to allow water to escape more easily. Can you tell if this is a separate section of timber that can be removed? Perhaps you could sand it down with a belt sander if you had one available.

Mitchell

sill2.png

Renes
Getting Established

Let me see what i can do about it...thank u so much.

Renes
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

I just had a look at the arrows pointed by u in the picture, is actually a groove not raised. Is there anything i can do about it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A groove isn't so much of an issue as it won't cause water to pool on the whole threshold area @Renes. What happens if you pour water on the flat timber area? Does it run off quickly or just sit there?

Mitchell

Renes
Getting Established

The water actually sits on the raised timber (where i placed the weather strip)not where the arrow was pointing. Water sits right under my door which is why when i opened the door, the door stopper kind of brush off the water on my door sill into my kitchen floor.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects