Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure camera mount to eave?

bower104
Just Starting Out

How to secure camera mount to eave?

1FDF9B7D-2286-4A29-8467-6658A66F846E.jpeg

I need to attach the mount for a wireless security camera (and then the camera) and would like to install it on the eave. Can I simply  attach the mount with the screws provided into the eaves or will this just end with the camera pulling out. How can I securely get the mount on to the eave? 

02C61CCE-D263-46E8-ABF0-05ACF81C30F0.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to secure camera mount to eave

Hello @bower104 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing your security camera to your eve.

In an ideal situation the best part to anchor your camera mount onto is the timber frame behind the eve. They are often located at the sheet joins or where the flat head nails are placed. However, if those locations are not ideal, I suggest using Ramset Spring Toggles. The spring-loaded anchor secures the screw and the item that it's attached to from pulling out. Just keep in mind not to over tighten the screw to prevent the anchor from deforming.

Please make sure that there is someone holding the ladder for you while you work at height. In the interest of safety make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask while drilling and installing the camera mount.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@bower104 

You will more than likely do ok with some needle screws like a plasterboard screw direct into the cement sheet, just don't over tighten them otherwise you will strip the cement sheet.

I've done exactly that on many flood lights and sensor lights over the years no issues.

Just a small gauge is fine

RSS
Cultivating a Following

The  Ramset Spring Toggles are easy to use.  Just remember, once you insert the toggle into the eave, you cannot remove it, as you will unscrew the toggle end off and it will remain in the eave space.  A cheaper option, but fiddlier and if you can access the eave space above, is to place a piece of scrap wood inside the eave and screw into that.

Depending on the age of you house, some eaves were made using sheeting that contained asbestos, so be careful of the dust.  If you suspect it is asbestos, consider an alternative mounting method.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RSS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Thank you very much for that timely safety reminder about asbestos. Let me tag @bower104 to make sure they see your suggestion. I definitely agree with you that it is always prudent to double check before drilling into the surface material of an old house.   

Again, thank you for the safety reminder and sharing your idea.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RSS. It looks like you've got lots of knowledge and experience to share with other members. We trust you will get plenty of ideas, inspiration and advice in return. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects