Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gap between brick wall and pavement?

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

How to seal gap between brick wall and pavement?

Hi, one of the brick walls of our garage has a large gap between it and the concrete slabs pavement outside. The gap is about 30-35mm and runs along most of one wall. Photos attached. The garage is a separate structure from the main house. The gap has been there even before we moved in 6 months ago. It could have been like this for years before us. The concrete slabs seem to have settled at a downward angle, which resulted in the gap.  

QUESTIONS:

1) I assume this gap is not good and should be filled in? Is this suitable as a DIY?

2) I was thinking of filling it with mortar and then cover with waterproof seal of some kind?  (I chose mortar over concrete because it's softer and I don't really know what I'm doing, so thinking mortar is easier to 'undo' and would less likely cause damage to the brick). 

3) What kind of waterproof seal?  (Not black bitumen as it's ugly. Maybe something transparent or greyish?)

(The rusted metal rod in the first photo has also been there since we moved in. I didn't want to remove it until I figure out why the previous owner put it there -- was it meant to prevent the gap from closing?!?!. However, when I picked it up yesterday, I saw it was loose and not at all attached to either wall or pavement).

Thanks in advance!

wall5.jpgwall4.jpgwall3.jpgwall2.jpgwall1.jpg

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

Re: Seal gap between brick wall and pavement?

Oh, I just found out similar questions have been answered before, like here: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-fill-gap-between-brick-wall-and-concrete-path...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PhoenixClose1,

It's great to see you found a similar discussion. As mentioned, this is an expansion gap and could be filled with Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant, though you'd need quite a lot of it and might be better off going with a Sika 600ml Concrete Grey Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant.

You can use foam rod to help fill up excess space before sealing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, I've got a similar style wall and slab area that needs resealing to prevent water. With the foam tube/core is there any 'better' product for the job or is any foam tubing ok?

Also do you have any recommendations on the easiest way ro remove the degrading sealant currently in place?

Cheers 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @WatersD,

Thank you for your questions regarding a similar gap that you have.

The foam is really only acting as a backer for the sealant that is flexible enough to allow any concrete movement, however it will be exposed to weather, so a mould resistant material is better.  I would suggest any of the Sika Abelflex or Abelrod products of a suitable size as they have been developed to be resistant to fungi and insect attack as well as resistant to most chemicals.

There are dedicated tools for silicone sealant removal such as the DTA Silicone Remover or Monarch Caulk & Sealant Remover, however the best tool would be dependent on the specifics of the job. In my experience, a good utility knife run down either side of the sealant can often be the best tool for this type of job and has many other applications, so it is definitely worth considering. 

Please remember in any situation where you are using sharp tools, that personal protective equipment such as gloves, long sleeves, long pants, enclosed shoes and eye protection are a must to prevent any possible lacerations.

You might also like to check out How To Remove a Silicone Sealant for some additional guidance.

If you need further advice, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects