Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a painted terracotta or concrete pot?

jenamus
Just Starting Out

How to seal a painted terracotta or concrete pot?

Hello,

I'm currently painting pots using the following steps and products:

1. Seal pots with Crommelin Ornamental Sealer 

2. Prime with Dulux paint

3. Paint with acrylic paint

4. Seal and finish with White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss

However I'm finding the final product to be quite messy as it's a spray.

Does anyone know if there's an alternative I can use, possibly in the form of paint / paintbrush instead of a spray?

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a painted terracotta or concrete pot?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jenamus. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting pots.

I'm keen to hear more about the issues you're experiencing with your spray gloss. Typically, sprays would give you a superior finish with no fuss compared to a painted product. In what sense was the product quite messy? Are you getting overspray, or perhaps it's dripping, and you're getting runs?

I recently spent a great deal of time investigating clear coats for acrylic paints on projects exposed to the elements for @naz1 with their discussion on painting an exterior feature wall. The White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss spray was the only available option.

I've used that acrylic gloss several times before and am currently applying clear coats to a project I'm working on. If you can provide a little more information on your troubles, I'd be happy to troubleshoot them with you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. That's great to hear that you rate the product so highly. I think my main concern is the fumes.

I live in an apartment and don't feel comfortable spraying it indoors because of the fumes. I do have a small balcony, and bought a small beach tent to spray the pots in, however the fumes still fly out and I think they're getting onto my current plants and damaging them (I could be wrong - I could just be a terrible gardener).

Also when it's raining or windy, I can't do it outside because there's not much coverage from the weather.

If there's no other option I will persevere, but wanted to ask just in case.

Thank you :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jenamus

Have you considered other places to do your paint spraying? Perhaps a friend's or relative's garage? If you're only doing a few pots, I recommend waiting on good weather to finalize your painting project. However if you are doing a lot of pots, perhaps it would be a good idea to consider another location or upgrade your painting booth.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects