Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal Bluestone crazy paving?

cococat
Growing in Experience

How to seal Bluestone crazy paving?

Hello!

I was wondering if I should seal my

bluestone crazy paving (which I just remortared) with Crommelin penetrating sealer and water repellant natural finish? Will this help keep the mortar clean and resist stains from squashed fruit?

Thank you IMG_6771.jpeg🙏😃

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: sealing bluestone pavers

Yes @cococat

Your crazy paving  and  fresh mortar will resist stains much better having being sealed.

Do consider the slip factor and  consider adding  grip to the sealers at  need

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cococat,

Have the pavers been sealed previously? If not, then Crommelin Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent would be an excellent choice that will not only retain the stone's natural finish but provide that protection from staining that you need; it also does not increase surface slipperiness.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cococat
Growing in Experience

Great thank you Mitchell. I will go ahead and seal them once the weather improves! 😃

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great stuff, @cococat. Just do a small test section in an inconspicuous location to ensure you are happy with the sealer finish before committing to the whole lot. Remember the pavers need to be bone dry before adding the sealer.

I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell 

cococat
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell

I used the Crommelin Natural Finish Sealer. It did not alter the look of the bluestone at all but seems to have worked as a sealer! Hopefully now they will be easier to maintain! It recommends only one coat for bluestone- just wondering if I should do another?

Thank you! 😃

IMG_6802.jpeg

Hi @cococat 

Sealer  can ruin natural stone  look.   Can i suggest you try 2nd coat in a out of the way spot  first. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @cococat.

It would be my recommendation to follow the directions of the product. I suspect dense stones like Bluestone should only have one coat applied, as any more than that will build up on the surface instead of penetrating. This could lead to undesirable wear to the coating. If you've applied one coat, then that is all that is needed, and you can re-coat in the future when there are signs of wear.

Mitchell

cococat
Growing in Experience

Great thank you 🤩

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects