Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to resurface a brick driveway?

Oshah
Finding My Feet

How to resurface a brick driveway?

Hi People,

I want to resurface ( paint) my brick driveway to a more modern color ( very light gray) and I hope to prevent weed growing etc. I would appreciate if you anyone who has done this project before can help me. I would like to know how should I prepare the surface, how to fill between pavers gaps, what type of products to use as a primer and top coat. Thanks.

IMG_9850.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brick driveway Resurfacing (paint)

Hi @Oshah,

Our range of trafficable paving paints would be suitable for your project. Depending on your choice of brands, the application technique could differ. If you were to go with Berger, here is their guide on How to prepare your surface for painting. Preparation is done with an etch primer. 

I would like to point out that due to the small size of your paving bricks and their round edges, you're going to spend a significant amount of time painting between them. You might find that if you load your roller with a decent amount of paint, you'll be able to paint the recesses while painting the surface. If the roller doesn't reach the recesses, you could be doing some hand painting with a brush.

Regarding filling between the pavers, it's important to know that they are continuously moving, so they can't be filled with a material like cement. Presuming that they are fitted relatively tightly together, then the paint itself will help fill between them, minimising the weed growth. The problem with filling between the pavers with paving sand is that if it dislodges, the paint will be compromised and also, the paving paint is not designed or warranted over anything but paving.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects