Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore my patio floor?

j1111
Finding My Feet

How to restore my patio floor?

I've got a patio floor that isn't in really bad nick, just a few holes but its quite stained and dirty looking.

I was wondering if floor paint would be enough to patch it up. I had considered tiling but it probably abit beyond my budget atm.

I'd have to rip out and recaulk when the concrete joins to the slab as well i guess.

IMG_5943.jpgIMG_5941.jpgSkype_Picture_2023_07_18T03_31_53_909Z.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore my patio floor?

Hello @j1111, 

Thanks for sharing that question about your patio floor. I suggest starting with a simple wash with a bristle broom and detergent. Once the surface is clean, you can have a ponder if you want to do a cosmetic fix or a proper paint job of the surface. Part of your patio seems like it has no cover on it at all, whereas another part seems like a surface epoxy paint was applied.

If that's the case, I suggest using outdoor paint to touch up the damage on the chipped surfaces of the patio floor. Plese keep in mind that the paint will not last as long as the epoxy paint. 

The next option is to use Concrete Floor Paint. There should be no issue when using this on the bare concrete part of your patio floor, however, where the part of your patio is painted it will need to be stripped off as it is starting to deteriorate. Failure to remove the old coating will void your warranty.

I suggest having a look at these discussions - Advice for painting existing concrete patio and garage by @sseb86 and Concrete repair and paint by @DexterOz. You'll find some excellent examples of what they did to prepare their concrete surface before they painted it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
j1111
Finding My Feet

What sort of product could I use to patch the holes prior to painting? it seems like a waste to scrape the whole lot off considering its in good condition.

IMG_5954-1.jpgIMG_5953.jpg

Also as it was cracking i tore out the backing rod between the patio and house i was going to put in new backing rod but was wondering what would be the appropriate sikaseal product to caulk?

IMG_5952.jpg

Cheers

Jon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Jon (@j1111), 

You could use a product like Dunlop 5kg Ardit Rapidset Repair Mortar to fill the damaged areas. As my colleague @EricL pointed out, warranties for topcoats are often void if applied over degraded surfaces.

Sikaflex 11FC would be an appropriate product to fill the gap between the slab and the house.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects