Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore my deck?

jp_diy
Finding My Feet

How to restore my deck?

Hello all,

I’m hoping to get some advice from the decking experts out there.

Around January this year I completed a full backyard renovation and laid down a beautiful spotted gum deck, finished with Cabot’s natural decking oil (two coats on underneath, sides, ends and about 3-4 coats on top).

Unfortunately, two days after the last application of oil, we had over a month of torrential rain. 

You can see from the photos, the deck completely lost it’s original colour and there is now some black spotting and green mould forming.

It’s now coming up to summer and I’d like to bring the deck back to how it was. Do I have to sand back the entire deck? Do I just use mould remover?

I’ve attached pics of it before and now.

70B9AE9A-6653-4C3E-A88C-ECDA62EB3D97.jpeg

56A48587-7F8E-4E1E-91A3-B4B8140EA6A9.jpeg

A5A4F147-AFFF-48F9-85A7-B96163D81A1B.jpeg

EC61653A-BEA3-4A7D-99FF-061421E09C2A.jpeg

   

Help - I need your advice!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restoring deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jp_diy. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a deck.

You might like to look at this helpful guide on How to restore a deck. I'd suggest you pick up some Cabot's Deck Clean and a stiff bristle broom. Once you've given the deck a couple of goes over, you'll be able to access what the next steps will be. If those stains have penetrated so deep that cleaning can't remove them, then you might be looking at having to sand the timber back. Hopefully, it's just a matter of a thorough clean and re-oil.

Once you're done with the cleaning and have uploaded some new images, we'll be able to advise you on what the options are.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice, Mitchell. Picked up some of the deck cleaner and the stiff bristle broom.

When I get a week window of no rain, I'll give the deck a scrub and if it looks ok, I'll give it a few coats of oil. I'll share some images once I've cleaned it.

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be looking forward to seeing your results @jp_diy. Keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects