Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace this window rubber flashing?

Jhur
Finding My Feet

How to replace this window rubber flashing?

Hi everyone

I am purchasing a property with the rubber flashing on one or two of the windows has been damaged. I've been endlessly browsing but I can't seem to find the correct item to purchase.

Additionally, how would I go about installing some new flashing in the instance below?

I appreciate the community's help with this. Thank you.

Capture1.JPG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace this window rubber flashing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Jhur. We're so excited to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question on replacing your window flashing. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back online on the site later today. 

In the meantime, let me tag our ever-helpful members @Nham@prettyliving@Peterkornek and @Dave-1 to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Jhur 

Is the window  leaking as a priority or a cosmetic fix would you say.

Both are important  so we  will go for gold.

That rubber flashing is some times unique to the brand of windows is the first problem.  The second  problem is how to removing and replacing the damaged rubber onto the frame some are threaded on from one end at the time of construction. Some may be designed to come away.

Dunlop rubber carries a  range of rubber strip profiles for all manner of general purpose applications and vehicle  trims

Bunnings has some D and U shaped rubber in there door seal range that may lend itself to fit between the window and brick.

But I think a  universal repair could  be terracitta color  silicon along the cream metal edge to match the brick work.  An I know  bunnings stocks square foam rubber that can be poked  into the gap  between the window and  brick and will stop a water  leak but only 7 out 10 for looks.

Or a  clear out door silicon can  be used once that brown  stuff peeled off it will caulk along there on  both the wall cream panel and at the brick work and old  rubber seal is sealed over.  Using masking tape  to run a  bead of silicon is the best way.

This fix comes  down to what level of repairs you wish for.

We will try and help.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Jhur 

Mmmmm There is a temp way that comes to mind and then a proper way......

Temp way would be to use selleys 290ml clear storm waterproof gutter and roof sealant (I actually stole the product from @Erics original post :smile: )

How to protect timber window frames This would be the easiest, not sure how long it would last (As in years)

Proper way would be to remove the window and redo the flashing (That sounds extreme tho)... Can you see any flashing under the window frame? Mmmm I would only do this in a worst case scenerio tho. The Waterproof really should work.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jhur 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your windows rubber flashing.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue and @Dave-1. They've pretty much covered the bases on what you can do to repair the rubber flashing. Looking at the picture you posted, I don't see any major damage to the area. 

However, if you are worried about water ingress, I suggest sealing the edge of the window with Selleys 290ml clear storm waterproof gutter and roof sealant as Dave-1 mentioned.

At this point in time, I recommend a wait and see strategy. Keep an eye for leaks near the window frames or where it might possibly pool if leaks were to occur.

If the current seals hold it's possible that it might still be good for a few more seasons.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jhur
Finding My Feet

Thank you EricL - will definitely try running a bead of the sealant along the bring once I clear it out.

I appreciate all the responses everyone - it was very reassuring!

Thank you again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects