Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sliding patio door handle?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to replace sliding patio door handle?

 Hi,

I would like to replace this old door handle on my patio sliding door:

9D3394E0-AB59-4315-8FF0-D7C2352A872C.jpeg

I wanted to install the Lockwood Onyx but it doesn’t seem to fit the existing door frame as one is supposed to mount the strike plate onto the door frame but my door frame looks a bit different:

D05B0142-2424-4A1E-B5BE-5325DFCAE72C.jpeg

The strike body slots into the existing gap  and is about 8mm thick:

839753AD-60C9-4ED0-9919-FCD08DC0295F.jpeg

Just wondering if any of the other off the shelf handles would fit?

Thanks!

Tom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace sliding patio door handle?

Hello @tom138 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your sliding patio door handle. I suggest bringing the old patio door handle to the store and comparing it with the ones available at the store. I recommend getting one with the same mounting post and door lock positions. This will save you from having to drill new holes in your sliding door.

However, it might be necessary to drill new holes for the locking receiver. But there is always the chance that it might be compatible. I propose having a look at the Lockwood Onyx Dual Handed Patio Sliding Door Lock - Black. It has a LockAlert indicator shows lockset status at a glance and DualSelect enables two stage key locking.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL,

thanks for your reply. Apologies for the late reaction, it’s been busy few days. I’ve been in the shop with the old handle but I couldn’t find a new one with the same style locking receiver. It’s hard to describe but they all seem to mount differently to what we have. I’m fine with drilling holes but I didn’t se any that would fit. They have receivers that mount to frame that is either level or perpendicular with the door edge where the handle mounts but my frame is different (see picture above). I did in fact pick up the Onyx one but had to take it back as it didn’t fit. 

Thanks,

Tom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

Is the lock too far into the door and they misalign or is the locking receiver out of alignment? Which part needs to rise up the locking mechanism or the receiver? There are parts available to change the height of the door lock. Can you please tell me how low the door is or what is the difference between the door and frame? If you can provide me with this information, I'll try and find another lock for you.

Eric

tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL,

I’ve attached few pictures hopefully you’ll be able to see what’s going on.

here is the current receiver:

DB77A7AB-413F-4320-811B-D09E85458B27.jpeg

it slots into this gap in the frame : 

C9EE1609-272D-4647-BA48-476DF1A2A238.jpeg

8C699751-5352-41BC-8696-8452C2BB8463.jpeg

And the door locks like this:

D7136E60-86EA-45CB-8BF7-8FF0096C1295.jpeg

Thanks for your help,

Tom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

One more request, can you please post a photo of your existing lock in the locked position so that I can see how the locking claws come out. Can you please put a ruler next to it along with the receiver beside it. Now that you've shown me how its installed, I have a better understanding of what lock I need to look for.

Eric

tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL ,

it’s a bit dark, hopefully you can see it:

B204FBDF-02F5-41F3-B0E1-7AB278B2820C.jpeg

1194E9A2-7E0A-4EC9-98D6-E7A107F80843.jpeg

I took the receiver out:

CAC7FE8F-AC67-4D69-8752-734B59D6EAF2.jpeg

I’m not sure whether this is the factory receiver or some sort of makeshift solution tbh :wink:

Thanks,

Tom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

That's definitely a home brew solution by the looks of it. But now that I've seen it in action let me try and find a solution for you. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their opinion on how to replace your patio door lock.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @tom138 

That door looks like the same style of door and door latch I have at home. I think I ran into that same type of problem  when I had the house rekeyed. The solution the locksmith made was a bolt at thetop of the door into the door frame above and that was keyed on the inside. I will have a look when I go home and see what I can figure out.

What type of door handle are you thinking of replacing it with?

Dave

tom138
Having an Impact

Hey @Dave-1 ,

thanks, appreciate that. Not sure I understand how does your work but a photo would be great.

I liked the Onyx @EricL suggested but it wouldn’t fit. So anything that fits will do at this point to be honest. Doesn’t even have to be keyed. 

thanks,

Tom

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects