Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace pavers?

kiku
Just Starting Out

How to replace pavers?

B668A036-18A6-4282-BCDA-557661A4977E.jpeg

Hi all,

This paving area is dated (probably 30ish yearI want to replace these current pavers with a larger one. There are currently 2 types of pavers: 200x200x50 and 400x200x40.

Is it just easy as remove current pavers, reuse the base and put new pavers straight on top? Or I have to prepare the base.

I like the look of porcelain paver but its specs is 400x400x20, so it's thinner than the current one. Will that be an issue?

Thanks guys!

CEC7EF75-0A83-476A-BBFF-D6487570F488.jpeg

B3235983-69E5-41A0-A951-B77ACCA1A9A1.jpeg

C11D2E24-35ED-4B95-8377-F9186CDA5109.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace pavers?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kiku. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying porcelain pavers.

The Tuscan path porcelain pavers can be laid over your existing base if there is compacted crushed rock under the sand. Have a dig down and see if you can find the crushed rock/gravel. The gravel underneath ensures that the base is sound with no movement. Your paving looks pretty level for 30 years old, so I suggest it's on a reasonably good base.

The only issue I can see that will arise is the loss of height. The new pavers will be slightly lower than your grass, and an unsightly area might be exposed on the lower section of your brick wall. Nothing that can't be overcome with some timber grass edging and paint. A concern I do have is there's going to be a slight lip between the pavers and your garage's concrete slab. This could be a trip hazard. If you wanted to minimise all these issues, you could quite easily add landscape sand to the area to make up the difference in height and go over it with a hired compactor. Alternatively, a tile trim can be used to cover the lip.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects