Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace downpipe shoe?

Alex-9
Finding My Feet

How to replace downpipe shoe?

Hi,

Have existing downpipe shoe that deposits water too close to wall of garage. Water flows underneath garage wall. I want to replace the shoe with an angled one that can transfer the water approximately 150-200mm, so that the water is transferred to the front of the garage where the drain is.

My question is, what tools do I need to remove the existing downpipe shoe and fit a new one?

If replacing the whole downpipe with uPVC is advised, what tools do I need for that? (For removing the existing and fitting the new).

Thanks in advance,
AlexThe replace shoe should exit past the corner of the garage, in the direction of the ruler.The replace shoe should exit past the corner of the garage, in the direction of the ruler.shows current shoeshows current shoe

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace downpipe shoe?

Hi @Alex-9,

Apologies for the slow reply. 

Let me tag some helpful community members to share their thoughts on how to tackle this repair: @EricL@JDE@TedBear and @tom_builds.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace downpipe shoe?

Hi @Alex-9 ,  dealing with downpipes is usually quite easy. If you can pull it off the gutter connection, it would be even easier to work with.

The existing shoe appears to be spot welded, or perhaps just held by small punches into both bits of pipe.  If the shoe won't pull off   you could hacksaw it off above the existing join.  You could make your own new shoe out of some zinc downpipe, or buy a flexible elbow. Attach it to the existing downpipe with pop rivets.

So you'll need a hacksaw, drill and a pop rivet set. A pair of tin snips could come in handy to more easily get the joining edges into shape.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace "Downpipe Shoe"

Hello @Alex-9 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TedBear. I totally agree with the recommendation on how to remove the connected piece at the bottom. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using a Holman 90mm 90° Female And Female PVC Stormwater Elbow in combination with Holman 90mm x 3m PVC Stormwater Pipe.

I propose cutting 200mm of the PVC pipe and connecting it to the 90mm elbow. I then suggest slotting this into your existing steel down pipe. You can then attach the remaining PVC pipe at the other end of the elbow. Please make sure to use Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent when joining the PVC together. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace "Downpipe Shoe"

@Alex-9 , I think EricL's suggestion of using pvc pipe and elbow will be easier to work with and give a neater outcome than my initial suggestion of trying to adapt the existing metal downpipe.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects