Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair small section of corrugated roof?

Burnside7
Growing in Experience

How to repair small section of corrugated roof?

IMG_7180.jpeg
I have discovered a small section of corrugated roof that has rusted through. The area is less than 20cm x 20cm. The section is above the eave near the edge to the guttering. I don’t want to replace the entire sheet as there are solar panels installed. Any suggestions for best way to repair? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best way to repair small section of corrugated roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Burnside7. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a roof.

That's really past the point of repair, and the two sheets should be replaced. That being said, you could give the area a good scrub down with a wire brush and then paint the area with rust converter. Unfortunately, you won't be able to access the underside of the sheet, so the corrosion will continue under your repair. Once the converter has dried, I'd recommend you cut a patch section out of a full sheet and glue that over the area with Sikaflex 11FC around all the edges. Alternatively, if you don't want to go with a solid patch, you could attempt to use Butyl flashing tape over the holes and area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Burnside7
Growing in Experience

Re: best way to repair small section of corrugated roof

Thanks Mitchell.

i’m loathe to replace the sheets as there are solar panels installed further up the sheets.  I’ll try the patch and silkaflex. Does anyone sell small patches of corrugated sheets that you know of?

Thanks again.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair small section of corrugated roof?

Hello @Burnside7,

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc is currently away and I'm sure he'll be happy to assist as soon as he can after he returns. In the meantime, let me tag our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@Noyade and @DIYGnome to see if they have any thoughts about purchasing small sections of corrugated sheets.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We look forward to seeing and assisting you in your home improvement and garden projects. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need a hand getting the most out of the site.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI @Burnside7 

Bunning sells  a range of roofing corrugated iron ingavlised or colour bond form shortest in your roof profile is 2400mm long $42 If you dont want to cut it put the whole  sheet up as a time saver It will be helpfull to take out old roofing bolts first so the new sheet lays flat. You may need a few new  roofing screws in case old ones corroded too. just seal top edge. if  bolted  down.

If you want to cut sheet and store  some use nibbling tool best as angle  grinder heats up the  cut end and new corrosion has an entry point so clean cut and  spray  paint the edge.

Normally if  one spot corroding others  arnt too far away in time.

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @Burnside7 looking at the photo it would appear that the rust contamination likely started due to swarf from the roofing screw hole being drilled (the surrounding sheeting looks decent) although there is that unusual localised debris on the site as well, it's just my preference but I would cut all of that rust out because it will only undermine any repair you do IMHO and thus would follow the suggestion by @MitchellMc to cut a patch (allowing for overlap) and after removing the damaged section and adequate surface preparation adhere the new section with the Sika Flex adhesive/sealant in the same approach you would to patching a bicycle inner tube. 

BTW that is a lot of water pooling in your gutter there, where you cleaning out the gutters at the time you took that photo?

Burnside7
Growing in Experience

Thanks @DIYGnome 

I was cleaning out gutters when I noticed the rusted patch.  The guttering has partially come away from the facia board and now doesn't drain properly.  I'm on rainwater not town water, so it'll definitely need to be fixed. Currently tossing up whether to try and re-attach to facia or replace the whole of the gutter. (Repairs never seem to stop!!) 

Regards,

Hi  @Burnside7 

Thank you for your vote of  support.

Can I add  if you run an  angle grinder you  can cut the rusty sheets out as other helpful suggestions meantion it may protect the new sheet from  early cancer   and slow cancer spread in the other sheets but once its out of the rain it should slow  or stop any how in theory as rust is a chemical reation.

Hope this is the last rust spot for many years.

Me too, @Jewelleryrescue .

Thanks for your help.

Hi Burnside, I was wondering how this was going?

I have a similar situation and was considering the possible solution by Mitchell "I'd recommend you cut a patch section out of a full sheet and glue that over the area with Sikaflex 11FC around all the edges", I note he has mentioned for the patch to go on top which is probably the only way it can be done.   My worries about this method is that it will create a catch as the water runs down, and if the initial breakdown was caused by trees and debris (from the neighbours in my situation) then it will gather at the join and reinfest.  Ideally the new piece would fit underneath so the water and debris flows straight down, however I have not been able to come up with an idea to work that.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects