Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged Limestone driveway?

Kmaz
Just Starting Out

How to repair damaged Limestone driveway?

Hi, I have a limestone driveway which unfortunately used a very high pressure to clean it and it has now lost its texture. How can I repair it?

1000029334.jpg

1000029333.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Damaged Limestone driveway

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kmaz. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a limestone driveway.

Could you please tell our helpful members a little more about the texture that was lost? Was it a smooth surface, and now it's rough, or perhaps there was a rough texture that has become smooth? Maybe it was even a coating that's been stripped off?

If it was a sealer that was stripped off in the cleaning process, then re-applying one could resolve your issue. It's important to do a porosity test to see whether the sealer can be absorbed. The test basically involves placing a droplet of water on the surface to see if it absorbs in or just sits on the surface.

We'll be looking forward to hearing more details.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your response. It was a rough surface that has become smooth. I could see small particles of the stones coming off the surface when I was washing it.. It has lost its original cream color. Even on the edges of joints you will see discolouration as if it is still wet.

Cheers,

Ken

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kmaz,

Are you fairly sure that it's a limestone driveway and not a stamped concrete drive? I wouldn't have thought that limestone could have its colour removed from pressure washing as that colour is consistent the whole way through. It sounds like there has been a painted coating added when the concrete was stamped to look like pavers and that's what has been blasted off.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I searched fpr liquid limestone on the web amd can confim that my driveway looked exactly same as attached photo.

Regards,

Ken

1000029468.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, that makes sense, Ken (@Kmaz).

Limestone is a solid block that is quarried. Reconstituted limestone is a solid block that is created.

Your liquid limestone is effectively a painted coating over concrete to create an imitation limestone look.

If you've blasted that coating off, you need to enlist the services of a professional who deals with that type of product and coating to have it re-finished. Alternatively, you could look at painting the driveway in a limestone-coloured paint.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects