Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair crack in patio ceiling?

SPMac
Getting Established

How to repair crack in patio ceiling?

Hi, completely new to this and looking to learn from the wisdom of others.

We recently moved into our house and have noticed this crack that has developed in the plasterboard ceiling of our patio.

I'm wondering if this looks like its from water damage (or potentially something else?) And how I might go about fixing it?

1000015169.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Repairing crack in patio ceiling

Hi @SPMac 

there appears to be no water mark staining around around the crack.

So I suspect they may not have used  enough glue to  support the ceiling sheets or some one was in roof and  stood in wrong placea t some time asa  remote possibility.

But to fix it is  the real question.

It looks like the screws holding it up are pulling through see the dimples in the roof where the screws are?

What has to happen is props need to be placed under the sagging roof sheet more sooner than later as that whole sheet can collapse in a sudden pivital sudden moment.

I would measure the floor to ceiling height away from the sag near a wall make T shaped props  out of 75mm by 35mm timber ( with a bit of carpet pinned  to the top to try protect ceiling sheet.)and slide them under the sagging sections on an angle and as you pull the prop up right it will push roof back up. ( so the prop total length is important to achieve this) 

Use  more than one prop if you need too.

Next you cant really   get any glue to the rafter unless you drill some holes to squirt it through.

So plan B is to put many screws one ever 100mm along the line of the rafters.  You can follow the sunken screw marks to show you  rafter directions to follow.

Screwing 40mm screws you might  have a air gap between gyprock and  rafter (You might need 70mm screw  to reach rafter if air gap sag is still big.

Slowly screw into raft through the gyprock and dont fully tighten yet as one screw  on its own will pull through. So you need several screws started into timber and gradually tighten each one a 10mm at a time untill gyprock touches the rafter (screwing resistance increases more)  Once all the screws up place extra support screws in to reenforce gyprock.

Now do this for the next rafter and check the whole roof for more sagging by using a broom and gently putting clean brush on roof and pushing up looking for roof movement up and down as you  pushand release.  Add more screws as needed. 

Then  come  back to use for tips on how to repair the cracking once the roof stabilized.

If all this seams  to much to do you wont be alone here  so seek the services of a gyprocker a they have all the plaster lifts and can repair crack at the same time.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair crack in patio ceiling?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @SPMac. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden plans.

Great to see @Jewelleryrescue has provided advice on how to repair your ceiling crack. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist as soon as he can. 

While waiting, I recommend having a look at our Best Advice article How do you repair ceiling cracks? in case it helps. 

A note to be careful if you are attempting this project yourself and require a ladder to repair the roof crack. Have a look at our guide How to use ladders safely for tips.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for the helpful guidance.

Looks like I've got a bit of investigating and work to do in securing the plasterboard before I even attempt to repair the cracks. 

Hi @SPMac 

That  blind? Is attached to the roof maybe  a part cause the sheet is coming down especially if it is in constant use. Is it possible to move its mounts  to the nearest rafter location  once the sheet is secured?

Now you can see the line of screws  the dimples I would draw a  light pencil mark on the roof following the rafter to the wall at the sagging end to make it easier to know  where to screw too.  If you miss the timber it is ok just reverse the driver and go again a little to one side, miss again  retry we fix holes later.

Start screwing in screws from the lest sagging end it will make finding wood easier.

To repair the cracks once  everything stable sand the roof sheet flat  pulling out loose crumbling bits. We then apply a gyprock bandage( a self adhesive gauze) along the crack line and over the screw dimples little patches . And over your added screw lines following the rafters.

using a spatular plaster  pre mixed Joint compound cheaper  than gyprock repair compound. Push the compound through the gauze like making spagetti until there is a solid layer of 5 mm squished into the cracks.   Now use spatula to put a thin skim coat over all the mesh bandages to hide the mesh . A little raised skim coat wont be notice  once sanded  and  painted.

I highly recomnd a drop sheet for the floor as it is hard working upside down mess will occur.

Some times you may need it add more plaster to fill increasingly less hollows on the roof.  Any proud bits simply sand off using orbital sander is  easiest or hand sand using a flat timber block to wrap paper over.  Close doors as  dust will fly.  Some  one may assist vacuuming  falling dust. close to sander. Some sanders have vacuum attachment point.

Finally once you are happy roof is clean strong and looks flat time to ceiling paint it and your done whew.

SPMac
Getting Established

That's a heater strip that I'm assuming is bolted to a rafter above to support it's weight. I've attached another photo that provides a wider shot of the area. The staffing / cracks are occuring in the area between the heater strip, ceiling fan and where there appears to be the existing screws / nails securing the plasterboard.

So as you've suggested, it looks like I'll need to push up and support the cracked area and secure this section to the rafter with additional screws before attempting to repair the cracks.

Thank you for the guidance.

1000015190.jpg

1000015191.jpg

Hi @SPMac 

You have some nice sky lights there bad luck this problem cropped up in this nice space.  Sorry about that

Its hard to estimate if that "heater lol thanks for that info " is attached to the rafters it bolts are  pretty big and solid so  stand on a chair and gently move the heater up and down if it is in a raft it wont move and solid at both ends .  If it dose move (I suspect it is attached at one end to one rafter)  I just noticed its a  row of heaters. so spot check /test a few of them for your peace of mind. for solid rafter mounts.

Possible solution if required :

I would mount it on a nice bit of timber external to the gyprock the  timber will span the rafters and can be firmly attached to multiple rafters. At the same time the timber is pushing gyprock up supporting it as a bonus. The heater now can sit any where on the  timber you like properly supported.

Cross that bridge when we get to it we  will help you through this.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @SPMac 

@Jewelleryrescue raises are very important point and that is to check if the ceiling boards in your patio area are all starting to bow. You can systematically check the sections using a broom or mop handle and see if they lift up. Those parts that do lift up will need to be supported again with screws. 

I suggest having a look at Zenith 8G x 30mm Gold Passivated Bugle Head Plasterboard Screws to fix the board back onto the ceiling frame. To fill the crack itself, I recommend using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler.

Since you will be working on a ladder, I suggest reading this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. Will give an update once I've had a crack at this.

SPMac
Getting Established

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects