Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a gutter with holes?

jenny1616
Just Starting Out

How to repair a gutter with holes?

I have a few small holes (about 10mm diam) in a small section of metal guttering, the majority of the gutter is sound.  Can I replace a section of gutter or repair the holes?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair a gutter with holes?

Hi @jenny1616,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us.

Unfortunately our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitchell has had to take some unexpected leave, but we have had a very similar question before so he has recommended products you can use. In the discussion How do I fix the holes in my gutter, he advises:

"There are a few easy-to-use patching products that can be applied to the gutter's interior over larger holes. Those include the Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flashing Tape and Bondall Fibre Fix Rigid Patches. Alternatively, if they are only pin-sized holes, you can use a paintable product like Gripset Betta 1L Weather Seal or the tube-based Dunlop 310ml Grey Roof Repair Waterproofing Adhesive. There is also a convenient Selleys 315g Roof and Gutter Spray Seal which you might like to consider. If the gutter's interior is rusting along the entire length, it would be a good idea to paint all of it with the Gripset Betta 1L Weather Seal. This will give you several more years before needing to replace it."

Let me tag a few members with plumbing experience that might like to add their thoughts: @tom_builds and @Santullo.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jenny1616
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason.
I did see that post which was most interesting.  I was particularly interested in The Bondall Fibre Fix Rigid Patches, but the link doesn’t go anywhere, and it appears this item may not longer be stocked by Bunnings.  I did try to find the product elsewhere locally without success.  I found it online.
Thanks again Jason,
Cheers Jenny

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jenny1616 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing the holes in your gutter. My best advice before using any patch is to sand off as much of the rust as possible. Wipe the area clean of dust and debris. Make sure that the surface is totally dry before applying your patch.

I still suggest using Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flashing Tape as you can do a double patch from the top and bottom of the gutter. To accelerate its effectivity, you can use a heat gun and a spoon to push the tape onto the surface of gutter.

since you'll be using a ladder to access your gutter, I suggest having a look at this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects