Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from exterior limestone walls?

JonS
Finding My Feet

How to remove paint from exterior limestone walls?

I am thinking of applying a stone veneer finish

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i remove paint from exterior limestone walls? I am thinking of applying a stone veneer...

Hello @JonS

Thank you for sharing your question about removing the paint on your limestone walls. Limestone tends to absorb paint into its pores and removing it completely becomes impossible. Using chemicals to remove paint is messy and leaves a toxic mess afterwards. I suggest trying to remove the paint with an abrasive wheel such as 3M 4 Inch Paint And Rust Stripper Abrasive Disc. I recommend wearing goggles, gloves and a paint mask when using this equipment as it will generate a fair amount of dust.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your wall? This will give our members a chance to examine it. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. I propose covering the entire area with drop sheets to protect your appliances from being covered in paint dust. Please keep in mind that the paint will still be in the pores of the stone. Can you also please tell us what kind of stone veneer were you thinking of putting on it?

Any other information you can share with us about your proposed project would be very much appreciated.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects