Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old oil stains from concrete?

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

How to remove old oil stains from concrete?

A client had an accident with cooking oil in their alfresco area. They have moved out but there is a big stain left on the exposed aggregate concrete. it has been there for 6 months now and I need a solution to remove it. I have a pressure washer and tried that a couple of months ago along with some concrete cleaner. Does anyone know a solution here? I'm tempted to just put more oil around the whole area to make it even!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove old oil stains from concrete?

Hi @Ready2go

Smart thinking about adding  more oil  to try blend the stain,  But that carries some risks risks of a further blotchy  finish. Test that theory in a less noticable area. or add a  little oil to stain and feather it out lighter and lighter,in a small radius.

But  first lets try one more trick no promises  though. Car  engine degresser is what i used to use on drive way oil stains brushed  on to stain and scrubbed  with  pressure washer clean up  next day. 

Exposed  aggregate you mean  like pebble crete?  If so sanding back some concrete is out as on polished concrete. So whats  left ummmm

try some bleach in the centre of the stain only  undiluted and leave it see if it helps lighten that area, This  can lead to and over clean spot just as  bad as a dark spot so the whole area will need same treatment. 

If the aggregate is like pebble crete rough textured  surface consider mixing cement (No sand) into a  thin paste and recovering the patio area fully and lightly spraying water on aggregate to re expose it with a  fresh uniform concrete under color. This will need  sealing again.

Good luck on your problem solving I hope one of these helps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: old oil stains from concrete

Hello @Ready2go 

I would also like to suggest using CLR 750ml Grease & Oil Remover. It has a powerful industrial strength formula that cuts through baked on foods, grease, oil, grime & tar stains. Please make sure to follow the instructions at the back of the container for maximum effectivity.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the CLR.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ready2go
Building a Reputation

cheers for the help folks!

I'll give the CLR a shot and do some before and after shots for you

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

that CLR has to be one of the few products that actually works as well as advertised. I'm a new convert!

thanks everyone! perfect product @EricL   20231218_115932.jpg20231221_101557.jpg

20231221_101557.jpg

20231218_115932.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic.

Many thanks for coming back and sharing results @Ready2go. I'm sure visitors to this discussion in the future will really appreciate it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects