Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect kids' outdoor climbing frames?

Shandelle
Just Starting Out

How to protect kids' outdoor climbing frames?

Hi I’m looking for some advice on how to protect my kids climbing frames. They’ve been recently purchased and need to be protected for outdoor use, preferably a clear sealant to maintain their current look. They’re the “Kinderfeet” brand and made of birch plywood and beechwood.

Link: https://www.kinderfeets.com/product/kinderfeets-pikler-triple-climber-triangle-large

They’ve been finished with a water based varnish but are not recommended to be kept outside which I’d like to do. Please could you recommend a product to make this suitable for outdoor use? I’ve had the Gilly’s brand recommended however I’m not sure how waterproof it actually is. Your help would be much appreciated! Thank you 😊 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to protect kids' outdoor climbing frames?

Hi @Shandelle,

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our clever and creative members. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need ideas or assistance.

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to share his advice on what product he would use, but in the meantime I would recommend you check out How do you protect outdoor furniture from the elements? as there's loads of great suggestions from members in the article. 

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect children's outdoor climbing frames?

Hello @Shandelle

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to protect your children's timber climbing frame.

In order to get the best result, I suggest taking the climber apart so that you can sand the surface thoroughly. There is no need to sand it back to timber, the surface of the wood just needs to be prepared to accept another coat of varnish. You can use a 240grit or a 320grit+ to get a smooth finish on the timber. 

I recommend using Cabot's 1L Gloss Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. It is water-based and is designed for outdoor furniture as well.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects