Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent fencing timber from rotting?

Pifaninha
Just Starting Out

How to prevent fencing timber from rotting?

Hi, 

I am near Cairns (wet, humid and hot) and made a fence using sructural wood T2Red. Then found out that should not be used for outdoors, as is not treated for wood rot. Is there anything i can do to it to protect it from rot, or do i have to replace it? the The T2 parts are all off the ground. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent fencing timber from rotting?

Hello @Pifaninha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have yo join us, and thanks for sharing your question about timber fencing.

Painting the wood will extend its life but it is difficult to determine how long that will be. Eventually water and moisture will find its way inside which will cause the timber to rot. I recommend using exterior paint such as Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof, these are self-priming and will easily go on timber surfaces.

My best advice is to make sure that the timber is totally dry before you paint it.    

However, if you only used a few pieces of the T2 to repair your fence, perhaps it's worth comparing the price of the replacement timber to the price of the paint you'll be buying. You can always use the T2 for another project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects