Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent dogs from digging under the fence?

surfergirl77
Finding My Feet

How to prevent dogs from digging under the fence?

thumbnail_IMG_3955.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3957.jpg 6f9e9889-12f7-4ac8-86ae-5b9af194705f.jpeg

hi guys

I need some ideas of what to do to stop dogs digging under the fence and I thought of chicken wire mesh or some steppingstones or maybe some ANL 1T 10mm NSW Blue Metal Aggregate - Bulk Bag to things coming under the fence and also to what type of screws or cordless drill would you need for a job like this.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: stopping dogs digging under the fence

Hi @surfergirl77,

Dogs digging under fences is a pretty common issue with members of the community. Feel free to check out some of the previous discussions on this topic for some great tips and advice:

There's also a Best Advice article on How do you stop a dog digging in the garden?

The simplest solution for you might be to fill the depression with aggregate and place a row of bricks or pavers in front of the gap. Laying a length of trench mesh and covering it with soil/aggregate might also deter the pup.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
surfergirl77
Finding My Feet

hi

thanks for your reply back

with the pavers or bricks than you mention about the trench mesh so what would you suggested to put first and with the trench mesh would it need to be drill onto the fence.

thanks

The pavers/brick or trench mesh would likely work @surfergirl77; they don't have to be combined. If you did, I'd place the trench mesh down first. Either method will prevent the pup from digging in that location. The trench mesh has rather large holes, so it won't stop them entirely, but they'll only be able to dig down until they hit it. The trench mesh would be laid on the ground and buried.

You can't really attach something straight to the fence, as the gap is only in the middle. If you were to dig down the whole way along the fence panel, you could partially insert the trench mesh into the ground and attach it to the fence posts with panel fixing clips and tek screws. You'll need a drill driver to screw into the fence. You'd then backfill up to it with soil and lay pavers in front.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects