Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent dog from digging under fence to neighbour's house?

IronMustang
Just Starting Out

How to prevent dog from digging under fence to neighbour's house?

I have a neighbour with a dog around the same age. My dog digs along the (chainlink) fence until there's enough room to crawl under. My neighbor's reinforced his side since the last breach but I still have the holes on my side. How can I stop my dog from digging under the fence? 

Was going to try the invisible shock fence but that's like $100+ or chicken wire mesh clipped to the bottom of the fence then buried with big rocks, but then I'm stuck looking for big rocks which might be an issue.

20240107_083540.jpg

20240107_083552.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to stop a dog/pup from digging to the neighbor's house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @IronMustang. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing your dog from digging under a fence.

You might like to read through some of the other discussions on How to stop a dog from digging underneath a fence. There are plenty of great ideas that you could potentially implement.

You terrain is a little uneven there, which makes the options more limited. Laying treated Pine sleepers in front of the fence line is a good deterrent, though your pup could just move further out. Laying trench mesh just under the surface of the soil could be an option, too. Levelling the surface and running pavers along the fence is another method I've seen.

Given that these appear to be some deep-rooted behaviours established over some time, I'd suggest you'll find that whatever you try, the dog will continue its mission. Perhaps if the neighbour's method of placing rocks has worked for them, it could be the best option for you as well. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects