Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare concrete balusters for painting?

MsChezzyG
Cultivating a Following

How to prepare concrete balusters for painting?

Hi all! I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare my 1970's concrete balusters for painting.
I'm looking to paint them monument grey which I know will hide a lot of the imperfections, most of them are in great condition but a handful need some patch repairs and the previous paint removed off the top railings.
Should I use paint stripper on the top or just grind it off; should I use a simple cement mix to patch up the holes?
We have about 80 to paint so I want to get it right the first time - thank you!

top railingstop railingsbasebasetop railingtop railingfrontfront

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to prepare concrete balusters for painting?

Sorry for the slow reply @MsChezzyG.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as possible. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MsChezzyG 

My apologies for the late reply. In order to prepare your balusters for painting, I suggest sanding down the surface of each baluster with a Flexovit 115mm x 1m 180 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll. There's no need to remove the paint entirely; the goal is to texture the surface for better paint adhesion. 

Once you've finished sanding the surface, I recommend using a pressure washer to clean the balusters. To patch and fix the damages, I suggest using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. It can be sanded, painted and be used for exterior repairs.

I suggest looking at either the Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof exterior paint. Both these paint systems are self-priming and are rated for outside use.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint like a professional.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

MsChezzyG
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL ,

Thankyou for the thorough advice on this project, I’m looking forward to getting these done.

Happy Easter!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MsChezzyG 

Happy Easter and enjoy the long weekend!

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects