Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

daisydog82
Getting Established

How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

Hey all,

First post so be patient with me! 

I have a retaining wall in my backyard and really like the idea of mounting some rust effect panels as a decorative feature (https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-1800-x-900mm-rust-geometric-screen-panel_p3042457).

I want to be able to mount them with a clearance/gap so we can put some lights in the gap to illuminate from the back. Any recommendations on a good product to use to mount the panels to the wall? 

I saw some of these in my local Bunnings, https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-aluminium-32-x-19mm-black-deco-panel-mounts-6-pack_p3042380 , however they only seem to come in black - and they look like they would be an ideal product. 

Any other recommendations, or has anyone seen the same fittings you can use for a rust panel? 

Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall mounting decor panels

Hello @daisydog82 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about wall mounting decor panels.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your retaining wall? This will give our members a chance to assess the area and find out if there are any good anchoring points. We can then make recommendations on how to mount your decor panels.

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daisydog82
Getting Established

1000012181.jpg

 Thanks @EricL , here is a zoomed in picture. We were actually thinking of mounting the panels horizontally, rather than the typical vertical - as I think the panels will be slightly too high. Just not had chance to go out to take measurements etc. will be doing so tomorrow. 

Thanks for the photo @daisydog82. When you are doing the measurements, perhaps take a few more wider shots so members get a better idea of the whole space and what you are working with.

Looking forward to seeing this project take shape.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community.

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

Morning @daisydog82 

You know the kid that puts their hand up first and shouts "me", "me", "me" lol Whenever I see retaining walls I just like them for some reason. Waiting on a few more pics and thinking about what you want :smile:

Dave

daisydog82
Getting Established

Thanks all for the replies so far. Here are a couple more wider shots, excuse the filthy pool fence and general garden mess 😄

Height wise, the wall is 1460, length wise it's around 10800. The panels we are looking at are 1800 high, but we really like the idea of having around 4 of them (with a gap between) horizontal across the wall. 

1000012189.jpg

1000012188.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @daisydog82 

hahahah If you think you you have a filthy poor fence thendont look at my photos! 

Here is an idea.

Timber battens mounted verticaly with the battens either extnding further then the edge of the rusty display piece or to be hidden. (Black verticla rectangles)

Support rails in green to screw the rusty displays to (In green)

Pink is for the rusty display panels. You could als make the display higher or bolt to the wall and have the rails set high to give the illusion of space?

01 23-11-2023.jpg

Dave

daisydog82
Getting Established

Thanks for the idea @Dave-1 - what would you recommend material wise for the support rails? 

Also with the panels being a rust design/effect, any specific type of screw I would need to consider to prevent any damage/reaction to the screw or to the panel?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @daisydog82 

Id be thinking of using some H3 treated pine for the Battens and the support rails 90 x 45mm outdoor framing mgp10 h3 treated pine 3.6m You can get it in shorter lengths also. (painted black or a colour that will blend into those bessa blocks maybe)

For the screws something along the line of zenith 12g x 40mm galvanised hex head timber screws 500 pack But maybe not a 500 pack :smile: I am thinking of the wider head so there is less chance for the screw head to be pulled through the metal. And also wont cause rusting on the rusty panel lol

When I scrolled down from your original link of the panels on the Bunnings website that you were thinking of, there are reviews about the panels by customers. One of their concerns was it will stain the below area and to seal it the panel. Im not sure if sealing it would be what you are after with a product that is meant to be a rusting style look but id take into consideration where the "stain" will end up maybe before its reached its rusted effect you want and then stop the rust with a sealer? Im not 100 % sure as I havnt used the product, I have looked at it heaps and would like to use it :smile: Id definently factor that in.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daisydog82 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using galvanized or stainless-steel screws to anchor the panels to the timber frame.  To mount the timber to the masonry wall, I suggest using Ramset 7.5 x 80mm Galvanised Masonry Anchor Screw or similar. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects