Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make pathway more kid friendly?

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

How to make pathway more kid friendly?

Hi all

Wrapping around our new place is this thin layer of pebble and pavers on top of the concrete slab that goes the whole way around the house

Wanting to move away from the foot smasher pebble and make it nicer to walk on. Considered artificial grass (as pretty sure normal grass wouldn't grow there) but concerned it would get too hot and look stupid. Not really sure what other options there are that would look good and the kids could run around without smashing their feet every 5 seconds

Thanks in advance for any suggestions 

1000004527.png

1000004528.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make pathway more kid friendly

Hello @DavidBrent 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about making your pathway kid friendly. 

If you are after a foot friendly path, I suggest thinking about installing a raised timber pathway. It's like a low-level deck but very compact, the drawback however is that it will raise the height of the path by at least 150mm. The good part about it is that it will be comfier to step on.

Another option is to use Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m x 20mm Shock Pad Rubber Paver. You can cut in half so that you spread it across the path. It's designed for use in an outdoor playground and will provide protection for little feet. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to make pathway more kid friendly

Hi @DavidBrent,

Welcome to the community. We're pleased to have you join us. 

I think a good example of what Eric described would be the sideway makeover by @shayden06

Another option would obviously be all concrete, like @Nham with his side yard access project.

My favoured option would be paving, like side access paving by @Yorky88  and Small yard makeover with pavers and planter boxes by @marliemakesit.

Do check out our Top 10 most popular side yard projects for more ideas. Hope you get some inspiration from other creative Bunnings Workshop members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to make pathway more kid friendly?

Good Morning @DavidBrent 

I can just imagine trying to ride a pushbike along the path :surprised: lol Id struggle let along a child.

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: I honestly think once you start scrolling through the udeas/suggestions in here you will have a list of 5 ways you want to do the one project! :smile: 

You mention you have a concrete path under the gravel and stepping stones? Would it be possible to remove what you have back to the bare concrete and then if you dont like the bare concrete look you could go for a thin layer of sand and then pavers of some kind? I have seen some nice looking fake grass but I hedge away as its plastic and I am fed up with plastic, but if you fall over on the fake grass it burns (And yeah think of a long drawn out buuuuurns type deal)

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @DavidBrent 

Basically your  kids will grow up all to quick so consider what ever you do must be some thing you want in your landscape if it is to be a permament  solution.

But considering the short term protection of little feet why dont you think of old carpets cut up into strips and laided down I would go to carpet places and  ask them to give you old carpets they are pulling up as usually they have to pay for skip  bin dumping services.

A carpet is soft enough (maybe collect the under  felt too)  or do two layers over  the stones (stack pavers  to one side ?) the stones will drain water away so they will last a couple of  years and many are plastic material and  wont rot.  

That path looks like a  fun little race way for ride on  toys and  bike carpet will be smooth enough for  toys and soft if a  fall happens.

short term you could also  line the wall in carpet .

I like the rubber kids play ground tiles  but that is looking to be a fairly pricy option.

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

thank you for everyone's replies!

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects