Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lower this storm water grate?

BenT
Just Starting Out

How to lower this storm water grate?

20220926_145024.jpg

20220926_145008.jpg

20220926_145003.jpg

hi all , I'd like some suggestions  on how to lower  this storm water grate without having  to build  the soil up as I don't want any more slope .thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lower this storm water grate?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BenT. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lowering your stormwater drain.

Lowering the pit would be an incredible amount of work involving removing and re-installing the pit at a lower height and then adjusting the pipework to suit. If you did go to the effort of lowering the pit, there would then be quite a drop-down from your patio onto it. You might like to consider levelling your yard instead, as a level pit will never really sit right on a sloped surface. This would involve installing sleepers, if required, around your fence line to retain the additional fill, and you'd then add soil to the area. That way, your pit would be at the correct height, and you'd have a level yard.

The only other method of reducing the height of the pit I can think of would be to cut off the top section which retains the grate, remove a section of the pit's height and then replace the top section. If you had a reciprocating saw, then this would be relatively easy.

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable members, @TedBear, to see if he has any ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to lower this storm water grate?

Thanks for tag @MitchellMc.

I have to agree with you, it would be a lot of work to actually lower the pit... I can't see any other solutions than those you've suggested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects