Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate an existing patio structure?

robert1981
Just Starting Out

How to insulate an existing patio structure?

I have an existing gable patio structure which we would like to modernise by insulating the structure and infilling the ends. We would also like to add 2 fans and some heaters to the top so we can utilise the space all year round and enjoy the weather in Western Australia. 

The dimensions are approximately 3930mm by 8780mm.2024-02-15 11.23.16.jpg2024-02-15 11.23.30.jpg2024-02-15 11.23.47.jpg2024-02-15 11.24.08.jpg2024-02-26 12.47.50.jpg

Where would I start tackling such a project?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulating an existing patio structure

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @robert1981. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a patio.

Did you want to keep the peaked roof or bring it down to a flat ceiling? 

I'd recommend you take a look at this discussion: How to insulate a metal roof by @bowmatty. Although their reason for insulating was to prevent condensation, their method is also applicable to prevent heat transfer. Installing Foilboard is a fast and effective way to easily insulate a roof and will make a significant difference to your patio area. Alternatively, you could install new beams across the span and use traditional Earthwool insulation and clad over it with plasterboard.

You'll also find a ton of previous discussions on this topic that you might like to browse through.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

A note to our New Zealand readers: Foil insulation products are prohibited from use. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects