Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a wire balustrade for patio?

Liv95
Getting Established

How to install a wire balustrade for patio?

IMG_1464.jpeg

We are wanting to install a wire balustrade to provide security for our back concrete patio area, with a double gate that opens to stairs that lead down to the back yard - similar to the photo provided. 

Where do I start? Any advice would be appreciated! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a wire balustrade for patio?

Hi @Liv95,

Before you begin any installation, it's important to check your local building codes and regulations regarding balustrades and safety requirements, especially if there is a drop from this patio area.

Take measurements of your patio area and plan the layout of your wire balustrade and post locations. Consider the height, spacing, as well as placement of the double gate. Once you've determined the locations for your posts along the edge of the patio area, use a drill and appropriate anchors or concrete screws to secure the posts firmly to the concrete surface with post supports. You can then attach your handrail to the top of the posts.

Next, it's time to install the wire system between the posts. This usually involves threading the stainless steel wires through the fittings and tensioning them appropriately once connected to the posts. Use wire cutters to trim the excess wire, leaving a clean and neat appearance.

Using the Fortress gate system will make your life easy as their size is customisable to your preferences. Ensure that the gate frame is properly aligned, level, and securely attached to the posts. You'll then be free to clad the gate frame with your choice of materials.

Please let me know if you have any questions I can assist with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Liv95
Getting Established

Re: How to install a wire balustrade for patio?

Thank you!! Love the support from this community :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects