Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a swing under a deck?

julienf
Getting Established

How to install a swing under a deck?

Hi,

We would like to install swings for the kids (a toddler and a 5 years old at the moment) under a deck.

The beams are 4.5cm wide, already has a couple of hooks already screwed in them. They work, but not great for safety as the hooks are not closed and the rope can come off.

I was thinking of installing eye plates and use carabiners to secure the swings. Not sure if eye plates with small screws will handle the weight.

Anyone has any suggestion on how to set them up?

Thanks !

Photos of the beams:

20221119_143446.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a swing under a deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @julienf. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a swing.

I'd recommend going with Swing Slide Climb Ductile Swing Hanger - 2 Pack as you can use two 12mm thick screws to attach them versus the four smaller screws on the eye plates. Ideally, it would be a good idea to bolt through the beam with Swing Slide Climb Swing Hooks, but that would require removing decking boards.

It's best to stick away from carabiners when attaching swings. Most are not weight-rated and are better suited to key chains. Use shackles instead, as most are weight-rated and fit for purpose. I use Zenith 16mm Galvanised D Shackles to attach my kid's swings. They are a bit overkill with a working load limit of 3200kg, but at least I don't need to worry about them breaking.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This looks like a far better option. Thank you @MitchellMc !

I have one more question:

I assume using coach screws is your recommendation based on your answer (bolting through the beam is not an option here). The beam is 13cm deep, what length would you recommend for the coach screw? 130mm or less? Any advice on how to minimize risk of splitting the wood?

Julien

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

After having a think about this @julienf, I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't be pre-drilling and installing too many fixings in the bottom of a joist. There seems to be plenty of information about drilling through the side of a joist but not much about drilling into the thickness. You certainly don't want to compromise the joist by removing too much of its thickness. An alternative might be to install noggins between the joists and install the fixings into those. 

I don't believe you'd need anywhere near 130mm long coach screws. 50mm should be fine, and you'll need to pre-drill the timber to stop splitting. Typically, you'll want a drill bit the same size as the unthreaded shank section of the screw so only the threads cut into the timber. For M12 coach screws, I'd suggest a 9mm drill bit will be pretty close.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Hi @MitchellMc 

I'm sad to report I haven't made much progress on this by lack of time.... But I've had the opportunity to check out an measure the swing hangers during our last trip to Bunnings. They're quite large and the size would force me to set the swings in less convenient direction.

So I'm keen to explore the idea using noggins, and I'm wondering how you'd secure them between the joist. Coach screws?
Any particular type of wood to use (or to avoid) for the noggins?

Julien

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @julienf 

You mentioned on another thread you're in the process of having to repair your deck area. Is this the same deck?

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-secure-posts-to-a-deck/td-p/136307

I'm just wondering if it would be safer and more aesthetically appealing to purchase a small outdoor swing set and set it up in the backyard? Fresh air, trees, flowers, lawn and blue sky with clouds. I googled Bunnings and they have some really impressive inexpensive swing sets starting at around $135. If you're unsure of what anchorage system to use under this deck for your child's swing - then maybe this would be a safe way to go?

Just a thought.

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @julienf

Thank you for the update on your swing project. I'm inclined to agree with @MitchellMc's suggestion of putting noggins across the joist. For safety and maximum strength, I suggest using 140x45. But this particular installation method also means that you'll need to drill into the joist.

However, the recommendation made by @Noyade makes an excellent point. It would be safer for the children to be on a swing set as you'll be able to keep an eye on them versus having them under the deck. It will be a much safer environment outside versus the bottom of the deck which often harbours mould and mildew. I suggest having a quick look at the swing sets available at the store. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects