Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow vegetables in above-ground garden bed?

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

How to grow vegetables in above-ground garden bed?

I do not have any photos, but I have an above ground garden bed.

It is in full sun,I am in Perth WA.

What vegetables can cope with that? and how often do I water and at what time of day?

What vegetables need stakes?

What is the best way to get rid of snails and woodlice, what insects are beneficial for the bed.

I am a very new to gardening person.

I hope that I can get some guidance from this 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to grow vegetables in above-ground garden bed?

Hello @Maggymay 

Would it be possible for you to tell us the dimensions of your above ground garden bed? Is it a raised garden bed or does it just have very tall sides held in by timber sleepers or pavers? Any extra information about your garden bed will help us make suggestions on what you can do.

Here are some handy links that will help you prepare your garden bed:

In WA for the month of January the suggested vegetables to plant are beetroot, capsicum, celery, carrots, kale, eggplant for February: leeks, lettuce, melons, and radish.

The information you need regarding watering, insecticide and staking will be available once you choose the vegetables you'll be planting.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @Maggymay@EricL Has shared some great information on how to get started. If you are in Perth , we have another heatwave this week and to be very honest with you I would hold off until it cools down. 

IMG_4534.png

Really not a good week to be planting vegetable seedlings 

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

I certainly will not be planting at this time. I want to get the bed ready for cooler weather.

maggymay

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

Thanks mich1972.

I will not be planting at this time, as I am an older person I stay home when it is so hot.

maggymay

Take care in the heatwave @Maggymay. When it finally cools down we can talk again about your edibles and soils 🌿😃🌿

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the advice. I bought all of the other items for the bed, I will not be doing anything until the weather cools down.

I just want to firstly get the bed ready free of weeds and anything else that need to be done. 

I bought some stakes for the tomatoes and capsicums. Later I would not mind growing some cucumbers and things like that.

I want to take it slow as I am slow these days, I am 83 and cannot walk too far.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with this project or anything else around the house and garden @Maggymay. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maggymay
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason. 

I do need help.

Yesterday I went to Bunnings at Cannington WA. I was looking for items to clear my bed( I inherited it, live in a community)

And make it ready for the cooler months, I am hoping to grow cucumbers, tomatoes,lettuce capsicum and possibly beans,

I do know that these have to be staked.

I am going to weed the bed, do you think that when I have done that I can put down several layers of newsprint before I add any new soil.

As this bed is in a retirement village we cannot have a compost, but can I take my vegetable scraps and dig them into the garden?

As you can  tell I am a new person to the raised bed, I would like it to be productive. The bed is about 2mt long and 1mt wide.I do not have a garden as I live in a 2 bed apartment

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects