Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose Dynabolt for folding arm awning in brick wall?

Golf
Getting Established

How to fix loose Dynabolt for folding arm awning in brick wall?

Hi

Really appreciated if anyone can please help me with this problem as I don't have a skill in this area at all. I decided to install the Windoware awning myself. Picture from the website as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 191020.png

This involves drilling a hole in my brick wall and install awning bracket using dyna bolts that come with the kit. I noticed when I drilled the hole that inside the brick was quite hollow (not sure if this is the right word). This might be my fault as I'm not good at using the drill. So when I installed the dynabolt and tighten it, there were some holes that the bolts were OK (ie. I felt tight when tightening it and the bolt sat flush) but there were also some that no matter how much I tighten the bolt, it was never tight. This leads me to believe that because the brick was hollow inside and that's why even the dyna bolt, it couldn't expand enough to hold the bolt to the brick.

Once I started using the awning, it was OK for a while but now I can clearly see that some of the bolts start to come off and became very dangerous! Please see photos below.

371545795_890480249268680_1510770618289390374_n.jpg386868897_1052972009058007_2748357872670437757_n.jpg

I tried to do some research on how to fix it but not sure about what I found. As it can be dangerous and fall down hitting someones' head, I'm hoping someone can shine some light on how to fix it.

My understanding is, I have to remove the awning. Then remove the dynabolt from the hole somehow. Then inject the hole with epoxy (for example, Sika 300ml Grey Anchorfix 1 Adhesive). Then before the epoxy is harden, I need to then insert a new dynabolt (or maybe just use normal bolt this time?) and then tighten it before it is fully cured? 

So I guess my question are as follows.

1. Is using this type of epoxy the correct way to fix this issue?

2. Is it matter what type of epoxy I need to use on the brick wall? I can see there's Sika anchorfix 1 and Sika anchorfix 3001.

3. Do I need to use a new dynabolt? Or can I use the same dynabolt that I just removed? Or I should use normal bolt this time?

4. How long do I need to wait after injecting the epoxy to insert the new bolt? When do I start tightening it?

Sorry if these are silly questions as I never use it before. Thank you very much. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Please How to fix loose Dynabolt for folding arm awning in brick wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Golf. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Dynabolts.

Everything you've said is just about spot on. There are voids in bricks, and you've encountered a few. Using the Anchorfix would likely resolve the issue. The Sika 300ml Grey Anchorfix 1 Adhesive would be fine to use. You might be able to use the same Dynabolts; you'll just need to check their condition once you've removed them. I'm not going to lie; removing Dynabolts that haven't grabbed well can be extremely difficult. You've already expanded the internal wings, so although loose, they can still stop the Dynabolt from being removed. If the Dynabolt can't be removed, then there is little option apart from moving the position of the bracket and trying again. I'd recommend you use the adhesive in all the holes just in case one has a void.

I'd be inclined to let the adhesive set up for a couple of hours before tightening the Dynabolt. Do not over-tighten. Just tighten it so it begins to get snug.

Here's a helpful guide: How to drill into brick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Golf
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

Thank you very much for your reply. That's very useful.

Can I please ask one more question. I contacted a professional installer to consult about this and I was told by a that I shouldn't continue installing this awning. The reason is that there's only one row of brick above the bracket. They said I need at least 6 row of bricks above the bracket. Otherwise the brick wall won't be strong enough to hold the awning and it might fall. Especially when it's a folding arm awning.

I've read the fitting instruction several times and it doesn't mention this at all. Could you please help me one more time by confirming if this is true?

If it's true, what kind of awning can I install? My place is just a one storey townhouse so it's not high enough to have 6 row of bricks above the bracket. 

Thanks very much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Golf,

I'd need to speak with the manufacturer to confirm this. I'll contact them after the weekend and let you know.

Mitchell

Golf
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

Much appreciated! Thank you very much for the quick response. Awesome customer service.

I really need to know if it's safe. If it's not safe, then I won't install it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix loose Dynabolt for folding arm awning in brick wall?

Hi @Golf,

I've spoken to the Windoware team, and there is no stipulation to have six rows of bricks above their awning. They also do not have any concerns with having only one row of bricks above the awning.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects