Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between gate and post?

vonster
Just Starting Out

How to fix gap between gate and post?

IMG_0573.jpeg

 How can we close the gap between our gate and post so we can close the gate.

It seems to have gotten bigger over time?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vonster. It's excellent to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a gate.

If the gap is enlarging, then that suggests the post on the other side is leaning away. Perhaps the fence it's connected to is also leaning. To straighten the gate, you'd need to straighten the post to which its hinges are fixed. You'll need to investigate why the post has moved. Perhaps it had an insufficient footer poured for it, or the fence might be inadequately supported, and it is pulling the post off-centre.

What does the rest of the fence look like? Is the post on the hinge side plumb and perfectly perpendicular to the ground? Here's a helpful guide on how to choose and use a level.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell I thought that was the reason.We live in a retirement village so I don’t know what we will be able to do.

Thanks Vonster

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Could you show us some images of the hinge side of the gate, @vonster? Aligning the gate could be as easy as propping the fence back into position, if we're lucky.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects