Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix front garden drainage?

j1111
Finding My Feet

How to fix front garden drainage?

Hi

As you can see from the photos i've got an issue with a very boggy and wet front yard. Its quite small and  what is happening is there is no where for the water to drain off to.

I was thinking of digging some vertical drainage but not sure if i'd be better off just ripping the whole lot up and re-levelling and making sure the soil is sloping away from the house. At the moment there is a ton of water standing against the house footings which obviously isnt ideal. You can see in the pics the woodchip mulch is floating on the water against the house.

I'm not sure if the edging is helping matters or just forming a pool. Any ideas?

IMG_7134.jpgIMG_7130.jpgIMG_7131.jpgIMG_7132.jpgIMG_7133.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix front garden drainage?

Hello @j1111 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing your garden drainage. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Drainage to fix a muddy lawn by @Ben. The good news is that looking at your last photo, I observed that you have a downpipe drain at the side of your house.

It might be possible to link into this drain to address the flooding in your garden. I propose installing a French drain along the entire length of your garden edging to absorb the bulk of the rainwater sitting in your garden. I also suggest putting in an agi-pipe near your wall to deal with the water pooling in that spot.

I recommend engaging the services of a plumber to link your French drain and agi-pipe to your storm water drain.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
j1111
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric but id rather avoid using a plumber as they charge a bomb.

I've dug down around the downpipe drain but it looks like it just connects to pvc stormpipe so i guess id have to drill a hole into the storm pipe to connect the agi-pipe.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @j1111,

The stormwater pipe would need to be cut, and a tee and draincoil adaptor would need to be added to connect your agi-pipe. @EricL's suggestion of engaging the services of a plumber is likely due to the requirement for a licensed professional to make this connection.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects