Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix an outdoor blind sticking?

lexnicjam
Just Starting Out

How to fix an outdoor blind sticking?

Hello everyone, I bought this blind from Bunnings maybe 18 months ago and it has been great.  Just recently it has started to become very stiff to pull up and almost impossible to get down again.  Just sticks all the time.  It has not had any modification and I have been reluctant to spray anything in the mechanism.  I has the original cord which is still in a good condition.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the blind to run smoothly again?  Would appreciate any help.

outdoor blind.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix an outdoor blind sticking?

Hello @lexnicjam 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your outdoor blind.

It sounds like the roll up mechanism needs a bit of lubrication. Especially when it starts to become difficult when rolling it open and close. But before I make a suggestion, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the rolling mechanism at the end. Unfortunately, the photo you posted is a bit small and can't be enlarged.  

It's best that our members see it first to determine its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric.  I have attempted to take a photo of the mechanism (balanced on top of the ladder!). 
Please let me know if this is clear enough. If not, I’ll try again when there isn’t sun on the blind. 
IMG_0180.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lexnicjam 

Thank you for sharing that extra picture of your outdoor blind. It appears that it uses a pully type system with a gravity locking brass toggle. I propose spraying the mechanism on both sides with Selleys 150g Ezy Glide Dry Lubricant Aerosol. It is a dry, non-oily lubricant that provides a highly slippery coating to the surfaces it is sprayed on.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects