Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Colorbond gate that is hard to open?

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

How to fix Colorbond gate that is hard to open?

Hi, we have a Colorbond gate at the side of the house that gradually over time got harder and harder to open. When I took a closer look, it looks like the top of the gate "sagging" and pinching the latch of the gate.

I've attached some photos where you can see the space between the top of the gate is much smaller than the bottom of the gate, and also photos of the location of the gate. We've moved the top hinge once a few years ago when it got hard to open to remedy this, but now its worse. What else can we do about it? Thanks!

Location of the gateLocation of the gate

Space between the top of the gate and bottom of the gate is unevenSpace between the top of the gate and bottom of the gate is uneven

Latch getting pinched by the door, making it hard to openLatch getting pinched by the door, making it hard to open

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Colorbond gate that is hard to open

Hi @unawarek 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Colourbond gate. I suspect that the post that the gate is hanging off from is starting to lean in making the gap smaller. I don't think it is the structure of the gate itself as it does not look slanted. There are a few ways to fix your gate and it all depends on which one you would like to undertake.

• Disassemble the front of the gate and cut the top and bottom rail as well as the sheet itself by 3mm with a tin snip or a grinder. Once you've trimmed the gate simply re-assemble it. You now have a gap suitable for your lock.

• Dig into the earth where the gate post is buried. Move the gate slightly to see if it is still solidly fixed into the ground. If it slightly moves it will be necessary to dig a larger hole in order to add more cement into the ground to fix its position. You'll need a few pieces of timber to prop up the post while the new concrete cures.

• Relocate the position of the hinges. Remove the hinges and position the door as close as possible to the other post so that the gap on the other side will increase. Re-screw the hinges to their new spots.

• Move the latch mechanism to the very top to prevent it from getting sandwiched between the post and the door.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Neo19 for their recommendations.

Please make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your door  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Moving the latch to the top seems the easiest - would I use the same kind of latch?

Also, would stopping the post of the gate from leaning be the most effective way to stop this from happening again? This would mean digging and putting more cement in as your 2nd point? Thanks!

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @unawarek, in addition to Eric's proposals, it looks like that support post is slipping out of position which will be causing the hinges to be out of alignment and wanting to jam too.

The return panel appears to be out of square, but that could just be a distortion within the photograph.

The most effective way to prevent it happening again would be to reverse the door and fit the door hinges to the other post which is firmly mounted on the wall.

Is that a practical possibility?

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

Hi @TedBear,

I think the panels are fine, it's probably the photo.

I could flip the door to the other side, but wouldn't the support post still be out of alignment n pinch the latch again? Thanks!

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi unawarek, the post, once you set it straight won't move again as it will then have no load on it.

The fact that this has happened before suggests that the current support post is not supported and is moving out of place.

If you find that a lack of concrete at the base is the problem and if that is easily fixed, then that would be the easiest solution,

but the most reliably effective answer would be to swing the gate off the wall-side post.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @unawarek 

Thats a fantastic suggestion from @TedBear! By reversing the hinge position of your gate to the wall it will prevent it from leaning over ever again. Then all you would need to do is to straighten up the post on the other side. However, before you transfer the gates hinges make sure that the post is very secure so that it can take weight of the gate. In regards to the latch, I suggest using the same one and just changing its position.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects