Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap under vinyl/plastic fence?

JustinB1992
Getting Established

How to fill gap under vinyl/plastic fence?

Hello,

I need help in figuring out a solution to fix this gap under my vinyl/plastic fence. It has a solid concrete base the whole length. The posts protrude from the base fence face of 40mm

Its to keep my dog from peering outwards and barking at the dogs walking by. (she must protect the yard of course) ha ha. 

The fence gap is about 75mm and the fence length in total is roughly 16m including the posts. The lengths between the posts are 1980mm with one section being 1380mm.

Are there adhesive materials that will withstand the Far North QLD weather and heat that I could attach to the fence to fill the gap? 

I'm open to drill in options also. 

Thank you. 

Justin. 

1000008491.jpg

1000008490.jpg

1000008489.jpg

1000008488.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fill gap under vinyl/plastic fence?

Good Afternoon @JustinB1992 

Thats a nice looking fence!  Tho now I feel geeky getting excited over fence looks lol

So my first thought is not to try and attach anything sticky to the fence especially with the heat you guys get.

How about lenths of timber that fit under the fence between the concrete base and fence itself? You could notch either end so it fits around the posts even.

Second idea would be these guys custom concrete products 900mm straight tapered garden edge These also come in 600mm lengths. Also there are corners ect and just place (high side against the fence) them along the inside edge of your fence. 

Third Idea is just your selection of smaller width pavers in a line next to the fence. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JustinB1992 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap under your fence.

I agree with @Dave-1 on not putting anything sticky on your fence. I can only imagine the kind of temperatures you get when it's really hot. Because you have a 75mm gap, I suggest having a look at the Hyne Timber 100 x 75mm x 2.4m H4 Treated Pine Post Wet CCA - 2.4m. It is possible for you to cut this right down the middle to get more pieces in a single length. It will be necessary to spray seal the cut edge, but because it is H4 treated it can be installed near the ground.

Another product I suggest is Icon Plastics 150mm x 10m Slate Grey Garden Edge. You can push this plastic garden edging onto the topsoil and the top part can be screwed to the bottom of the fence. This should stop your guard dog from seeing anyone else on the other side of the fence. Its light grey colour should blend well with your fence colour.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All great ideas!! 

That link you shared to me goes to a blank page for me. Not sure why.

On the note of the fence looking good. It's more of a pain in the bum having a vinyl fence in a tropical environment, the mould accumulates very quickly and its a constant upkeep of keeping it clean. The whole estate (exterior) fence is full of mould unfortunately that side of the fence, road side does not get cleaned as much as it should.

Cheers. 

JustinB1992
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply. 

Yeah, now that I think about it I will give it a miss with any adhesives.

Love your ideas also. 

Time to go to my second home (bunnings) and start another project. Ha ha.

Cheers. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @JustinB1992 
Yeah Bunnings has been having an issue with links I have noticed over the past month or so. (You can search for something in google and two links show for the same item, one link gives you the sausage page lol and the other works.) 

I wonder if there is something that can be sprayed on teh fence to stop mould and not hurt the vinyl? (Mould repelling paint comes to mind)

As to your second home, Oh yeah I know that feeling! :smile:

Dave

Hi @JustinB1992 and @Dave-1,

The snag page is typically shown when you are trying to access a product that is not ranged in the location you're logged in for on the Bunnings website. However, that concrete edging should be available in most of our far North Queensland stores. Please let me know @JustinB1992 if you continue to have issues accessing Custom Concrete Products 900mm Straight Tapered Garden Edge when you're logged into a QLD store, and I can follow up with our team.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects