Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap in bearer deck substructure?

Frank2024
Getting Established

How to fill gap in bearer deck substructure?

I am using two pieces of  90x45 timber to make bearer. There is gap between two timbers binded by screws. Can normal external gap filler prevent wood rot ? Is there any better way ? Or leave as it is?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: gap in bearer deck substructur

Hi @Frank2024

For  sure  you can seal that gap  with  external gap filler.  I would  also  paint the sub structure with  paint as a  moisture barrier if you are concerned it will  get wet or other.  But if Bearers  get wet often is a big  problem other wise no real sealing  required at all under normal circumstances.

Timber  really needs  sealing all round and especially at the end cuts to defend against wood rot which is usually speed up by water contact.

So I hope this  general outline helps your situation.

Feel  freeto  talk more of you have new  questions. :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gap in bearer deck substructur

Hello @Frank2024 

I suggest covering the surface of the bearer with CAgroup 50mm x 20m Bearer Protector G-Tape. Put one in the centre to cover the gap and then cover the sides with more tape. There is no need to put tape at the sides or bottom of the bearer.

It sounds like you're building a deck, would it be possible for you to post a photo update? I'm sure our members will be keen to see the type of deck you're building.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects