Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create German smear on an exterior feature wall?

Elena145
Just Starting Out

How to create German smear on an exterior feature wall?

Hello,

What product we can use to do German smear on the exterior wall?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create German smear on an exterior feature wall?

Hello @Elena145

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about applying a German smear on your exterior wall. 

If you've done this type of application before, I suggest using Easy Mix 20kg White M4 Mortar. I recommend mixing only the amount you'll be able to use for the moment. Mixing a large quantity is not advisable as you might not be able to use the entire mix and end up wasting the mortar.

I suggest looking at the different types of German smears and seeing which one you would like to apply to your wall. Please keep in mind to give your wall a thorough wash to remove all the dirt and debris before you begin.

Here is a handy guide on how to use the Easy Mix Mortar: How to German Schmear with cement-based mortar.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elena145
Just Starting Out

Thanks EricL,

can I buy Easy mix M4 mortar from Bunnings?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elena145,

If you tap/click on this Easy Mix 20kg White M4 Mortar link, it will take you to the product on our webpage. You'll then be able to select your closest store to check availability.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

unfortunately, Bunnings does not have this product in stock and on the shelves, and never had. Any recommendations on the products Bunnings has.

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elena145,

I apologise as it appears the product mentioned isn't available in your location. 

We don't often stock white cement or mortar, and no ready-to-use white mortar is available. We have Off-White Cement, which is significantly lighter in colour than standard GP Cement. However, it's typically a light grey and not white. To create your mortar mix, the cement would need to be mixed with White Sand and Hydrated Lime 

One of our suppliers, Dingo, do have White Cement, and it would be worth speaking with your local store's Special Orders desk to see if they could order you some. If you were looking to make a brilliant white mortar, using white cement would be more suitable than off-white.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects