Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover up an unused pool intake?

filthy
Getting Established

How to cover up an unused pool intake?

House we bought has an old concrete pool with a decommisioned intake which had been blocked with expanding foam.

I'm looking for ideas to cover that hole which looks unsightly , preferably without having to drain the pool down.

I am thinking of using a large white tile siliconed on . Are there any silicones which are pool safe that can be used underwater?

Any other ideas to easily cover that hole with minimal down time ? It's summer and the kids will revolt if I tell them they can't go in the pool!

pool intake.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to cover up an unused pool intake?

Hi @filthy,

Thank you for your pool intake question. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but let me tag members @wooshka and @Adam_W for their suggestions as they have great experience with pools. Adam_W has also written a fantastic article on How to maintain a pool which may come in handy later on. 

If you ever need assistance with Workshop please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @filthy I had to stick some tiles, underwater, back into place on my pool and discovered this stuff. Truly awesome! Should work in your situation to glue a cover tile across the intake.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @filthy

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Adam_W. To add to the suggestions, I recommend building an intake cover made from an Adbri Masonry 200 x 200 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Paver and a tile of your choice. Just make sure that the tile is big enough to cover the intake opening of the pool.

The procedure involves gluing the tile to the paver to create a push-in cover for the opening. I'm suggesting leaving it unattached so that if at some future point you want access to the space you can still remove the tile. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how to build the cover for the intake. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects