Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cat-proof a balcony?

rachell505
Finding My Feet

How to cat-proof a balcony?

Wanting to cat proof our balcony, we recently bought so we are able to make permanent modifications. Want to block off the shutters so the cat can't fit through them as we are on the fifth floor, but also want to be able to open them for the light. Also wanting to block off the gap down the side of the balcony. It is too narrow for us to get into and clear out but a cat would fit. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Rachel20231230_112653.jpg20231230_112046.jpg20231230_112033.jpg20231230_112203.jpg20231230_112101.jpg20231230_112201.jpg

Christine61
Growing in Experience

Re: Help cat proofing a balcony.

Could you close the gap with lattice to match the other side? For the shutters, maybe large (wire or cat proof mesh) flyscreens you could slide across on U channel top and bottom to access the shutter fixings then slide back 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @rachell505      I  have done similar  to  what  @Christine61  suggested  that is green PVC caoted wire mesh i placed on top of my fence to stop my cats  climbing structures and jumping to the fence as an  escape route.

So now my yard is a cat haven and they are  free to roam.  The  cats see the fence as a physical block and are normally deterred  from making  the leap as to high or risky.

So for your balcony I would put floor to ceiling  light wire mesh or easier  you could buy a  black woven soccer net  ball stopper practice net hung from ceiling hooks all the way around the balcony. I would  place a length of timber  on top of the floor over hang so clever cats dont learn to go under the net bottom.  Search google soccer practice nets.

An agile cat could climb the net to the top so be prepared to screw a timber  length to the ceiling to sandwich the  net top as well. The same timber treatment may  be needed on over the wall side caverties.  So  top bottom and sides are sealed from crafty cats.

This will give you access to your window controls and still let a a breeze in and the black  net allows the view through minimally invasive compared to your cats  saftey.

After  install do you have a camera to record your cats net inspection as it will seek out flaws that you will  need to fix asap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rachell505. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cat-proofing your blinds.

I think @Christine61 is on the money here. You'll need to create a frame around the shutters and proud of it to which a mesh can be added. A small port can be made in the mesh or frame to allow access to the rod that actions the shutters. Or, having the frames mounted in channels so they are movable could also be the go.

I also like their idea of using a lattice to close the gap and prevent access.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A big welcome to the community to you, too, @Christine61. I trust @rachell505 appreciates your input to the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects