Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build posts for a mailbox?

nvdshams
Growing in Experience

How to build posts for a mailbox?

I am planning to install posts and attach a mailbox as shown in the picture. There are a couple of unknowns and I would like to benefit from the knowledge of this community before I begin this project.

1. I would be using 125mm x 75mm posts. Which type of wood should I use? Cypress or hardwood? Does it need to be treated?

2. What stain should I use to make it look like in the picture.

3. How deep the posts should be concreted keeping in mind that they are not load bearing?

Thanks

FB_IMG_1679602047380.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build posts for a mailbox?

Hello @nvdshams 

Thanks for sharing your question about the type of post to be used for your mailbox. Cypress is very suitable for in ground use. It's naturally rot and termite resistant. H4 treated timber can also be used in direct contact with the soil. Any timber you decide to use must be rated for in ground use. 

To extend the life of your timber post, I suggest painting the foot or portion that will go underground in Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. To protect the upper portion, I recommend using Decking Oil in your preferred finish.

In regards to the colour, I suggest going to the decking oil sample board in the paint department so that you can see the different finishes. This will give you a better idea of the kind of colour you'll be getting. Looking at the photo you posted, it looks very much like the same colour as the Merbau decking board steps.

Since the post is not load bearing, I propose a depth of 300mm and a width of 200mm so that there will be enough space for the concrete.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects