Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build patio fencing with a timber bar top?

Liv95
Getting Established

How to build patio fencing with a timber bar top?

IMG_7814.jpeg

IMG_7815.jpeg

IMG_7816.jpeg

   

IMG_7813.jpeg

We are wanting to fence off our back patio area and have a timber bar top along the railing so we can sit and look out into the back yard. We are stuck on what type of fencing to use that would support the weight of the bar top (approx 2-3m in length).

Photo with the timber bar top is our inspiration and the other photos are our back patio area currently with a rough sketch of the dimensions. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build patio fencing with a timber bar top?

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question, @Liv95. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide some advice on building your patio fencing when he's back online later today. 

Let me also tag @Tara86@KingStreetReno@Jimi and @diy_hausdesigns to see if they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, you might like to have a look at our Top 10 most popular fence projects as well as these 7 ways to add privacy to your outdoor area in case they spark any creative ideas for your patio.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build patio fencing with a timber bar top?

Hello @Liv95 

My apologies for the late reply. I was thinking about what materials to suggest for your fencing with a bar top. Because the fence will essentially be supporting the bar top, I suggest using 90 x 90mm 2.4m Post GL13 Merbau Laminated Select Grade DPR KD - 2.4m as posts in combination with 90 x 45mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m to serve as rail support underneath the benchtop.

In regards to the fence balusters, I suggest having a look at the ProtectorAl 2400 x 900mm Black Aluminium Flat Top Garden Fence Panel. It can be easily cut down to the width that you need, and installation is straight forward using ProtectorAl 50 x 25mm Black Aluminium Balustrade Panel Wall Brackets pack of 2. Gates and covers can easily be built using the Protector system.

The other option of course is to build the entire fence out of timber. This will give you full creative autonomy and allow you to explore different types of fencing configurations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects