Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor wood feature wall?

allred1477
Just Starting Out

How to build outdoor wood feature wall?

Hello,

We are looking at building an outdoor feature wall made from wood slats. It will be exposed to the elements mostly morning sun and will get rain. We will also paint it white.

What would be the best type of wood to use for the slats as well as the frame to attach the slats to? We want to keep the profile as thin as possible.

We are attaching the frame to brick so what would be some options for hardware for this? 

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build outdoor wood feature wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @allred1477. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wooden screening.

I'm so sorry for the delay in my reply. You might like to consider using some of our prefabricated timber screening panels for your project. They are suitable for external use and would be easy to fix on your bricks with masonry fixings. Due to them being panels, they would be far easier to fix in place than individual slats. If you were to use slats, I'd recommend fixing a few horizontal battens to the wall first, which will then allow you to screw the slats to the battens with external timber screws.

Slat selection-wise, you could consider 69 x 15mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screenin or 42 x 28mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening - 28mm. If you were to go for Tasmanian Oak, you could reduce the profile thickness down to 12mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects