Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an Indian style plank swing?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How to build an Indian style plank swing?

My childhood is filled with memories on swinging almost 180 degress on a swing like this outdoors. I want to build that in Australia to relive those memories and have my children exp them as well.

I want to build them outdoors. How do i go about planning for it? I am thinking of following steps

1. Dig two holes for the post (may be 60 cm or less?). Place 88mm post.

2. Attach another 88 mm post on top joining these posts.

3. Use chains to hang the swing.

Note - I want atleast 2 adults + 2 childs to swing at same time at about 140 degrees start to finish.

What post sizes do i choose? 

What chains do i choose?

How to connect the chain to the top so that swing action is free?

How to connect the chain to plank?

What plank to use?

traditional-wooden-swings-500x500

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build an Indian style plank swing?

Hello @jaiprak,

You've brought back some fond memories for me too! I remember sitting in this swing with my grandmother in India when I was a little girl. I can see why you want to build one for you and your children to enjoy.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist with your questions once he's back online later today. Let me also call upon @LePallet@TedBear and @Dave-1 to see if they have any thoughts in the meantime.

I'd love to see how this project progresses. Please keep us updated with photos. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @jaiprak 

So many times I have wanted to build a swing as an adult! :smile:

I always run up against the engineering issues fo the wieght of the body out at the high point of the swing. We all remember the swing set "jumping" when we swung so high! lol

My first suggestion would be for two "A" Frame supports with the bar that carries the swing across the top of the "A" 

The distance between the feet of a single "A" would be next to consider as the wider the feet the less likely you will be able totilt the swing on the swing arc. Distance into teh ground of these posts I would suggest at least 600mm as you want to carry two adults and two children. That is a lot of wieght to swing out on so you would want a solid base. 

The more I think of it the more likely it should be made of steel pipe as much as I love timber.

I have so many fond swings at the park across from my Grandmothers place and that structure was a monster (two swings seats onl) and we would still feel that "thump" on the return swing :smile:

So a question. How much "space do you have in the outside area where you want to put the swing? Are there any house eves, trees next to the area to consider? 

Now I am reliving that floating sensation at the top of the swing arc! :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jaiprak 

Thanks for sharing your question about building an Indian style plank swing. I believe this project will involve using weight rated materials from the screws and timber used to the hooks used to hold the swing itself. 

I suggest keeping in mind that not only must the swing hold the weight of the individuals on the swing, but the dynamic forces applied to the swing frame as the swing seat moves forwards and backwards. I propose building the supports as an "A" frame on either side with a large post going across.

But before you begin, I suggest drawing the frame and swing on paper and engaging the services of a draft's person. Show them your plan and ask them to draw it up as a proper plan with timber sizes. Make sure to include all the details of how much the swing is supposed to hold. Because of the weight involved, I'm afraid that ordinary swing construction methods will not work as they are geared more towards children.

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne, @diy_hausdesigns and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Hi Eric - Thanks for your suggestion on the A frame… I was thinking I can get away with a single post on either side..

now that I am thinking how complex the structure would be with more weight bearing I am willing to reduce the requirements to hold just 2 people at a time 😀

Hi Dave - Thanks for your suggestion on the A frame. I have about 100m2 side of the house that is completely empty with just a failed grass patch 😀.

Where do I go to get these pipes done (cost is definitely a factor)

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Great to see that you are reconsidering. It's one thing to have a house or a strong tree to mount such a swing onto and another to expect 2 posts to do the same job. As EricL has warned, there are dynamic forces that come into play when anything starts to move, not just the downward weight pull of something that sits still. I suspect that even with 2 adults you may still need more than 2 vertical posts, unless they are steel and fixed into the ground  with footings that are both deep and wide. A vertical post is also a long lever and may pull itself out of the ground when a sideways (i.e.swinging) force is applied at the top. The A frame design will be much more stable.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @jaiprak 

Now thats is a nice size to play with. :smile: 

Cost... yeah I think it may be pricey but really think it could be worth saving for it. It sounds like it has souch fond memories for you so maybe get a quote and then decide on a strategy (You have me considering one lol)

So I just did a quick search on "welding companies" and would add "near me" in google. I know I have a couple down the road from me in the light industrial area. If you drew up a plan to show what you want (A Frame, maybe with a flat base that can be bolted to concrete foundations? then you could move it if needed far easier) It may be worthwhile stopping in on a couple and asking them?

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 , @TedBear , @EricL , @Akanksha - Thanks for the quick help and suggestions to consider further. I will get back once I made some progress.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing how you go @jaiprak.

You might get some more inspiration from the Outdoor daybed swing shared by @LePallet.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects