Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a window cover for privacy and protection from the elements?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to build a window cover for privacy and protection from the elements?

Howdy all,

I'd like to build a solid wood panel window cover (just think of a rectangular piece of wood e.g. 1000h * 750w) that can:

• be flat against the window to protect from hail when need be, and/or
  • can angle out from the bottom like an awning (hinge?), and/or
  • can move squarely out from the window allowing for air but blocking sun/neighbours, and/or
  • be able to open on either side in order to catch the breeze and drive it into the house from the left or the right

I have one little old window in the kitchen which only opens on one side, which was the catalyst for this post.

Cheers,
Jason

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build a window cover for privacy and protection from the elements?

I swear I didn't name my post that, does this thing have a mind of its own!? 🤣

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @BoeingFan   welcome to   Bunnings  we know you want more stuff,

Consider green pine board above window screwed to wall studs.

Red hinges  support 19 mm Ply board (heavy so wind dosnt flap it)

Standard awning pulley and rope or just   I  loop plus  awning tie off  handle

On top of ply put timber pine  to match you windows shape as a  false window, So if your shutter down it looks like your regular window once painted.

Make timbers match you window size :smile:

Crude  drawing but I think you get the idea and extra detail can be added at need.

Add Trim to look like  real windowAdd Trim to look like real window

Hi @BoeingFan

I'll go with magic as it saves me from having to explain. @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion is spot on my only suggestion is to add a trim to the cover so that it does not look too plain. I've attached a sketch below with the traditional pivot stick instead of a rope.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day @EricL 

Magic would be easier, I agree, but I'm confident we can come up with something which will largely tick the boxes. The trim idea is great, lock that in. I think the pivot stick is the direction I need to go in. Is there a pivot stick which has a pin on the end and a separate latch (?) with a hole to lock it into? Are there extendable ones? I like the idea of being able to hinge the panel to the house at the top, and if I need to close the panel then the stick can be stored / secured to the inside of the panel.

So, what type of wood panel would you suggest, and, is a couple of coats of paint sufficient to protect it from the elements?

I'll revisit the side panels at a later date.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi @BoeingFan 

I think we can do better than that and give your house a  modern edge awning.

Condider a plastic outdoor wall art  screen wont rot amd UV stable paint it simly to match your color scheme.

Do a  good job first time so you wont need to revisit the design into the future ideally. should be strong enough not to require timber frame.

No need to cut it just use over window with overlap.   If you use   polycarbonate sheet under it as a clear layer  under the art panel rain wont get in.

The stick you  use put a 

Matrix 1200 x 800mm Frangipani Screen Panel I/N: 0131468  $34.99  more patterns avaliable

frangipani-screen-panel 

Acrylic sheet  you will  need 2 of these  two fit the above panel

Suntuf 900 x 600 x 5mm Clear Acrylic Sheet I/N: 1010490 $79   

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-900-x-600-x-5mm-clear-acrylic-sheet_p1010490

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BoeingFan

The most likely scenario is that one of the administrators saw your post and formulated a title based on your description. There are two general methods to mount the stick. The first is to build timber stops on both ends of the stick. The second is to use a standard butt hinge and screw the stick into it allowing you to permanently mount it to the panel.

I suggest using marine plywood as it is rated for exterior use. One other way to keep the stick in place is to use Delf Trade 30 x 30mm Satin Chrome Square Finger Edge Pull. I propose building timber stops at a higher point in the panel if you wish to lower the position of the window. This will save you from having multiple sticks of different lengths near the window. 

The paint you are currently using now for the exterior of your house will work on this panel. If you happen to run out just get exactly the same type in the colour that you like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi I am not knocking @EricL  creative thoughs just expanding them a little.

I am not keen on the stick approach One big  puff of wind that stick is lifted out and the panel slams into the window and @BoeingFan  has no easy access to washing machine for cleaning shorts.

Does bunning have those mechanical window winders?  or some thing like that.. Or

DIY   adjustable strut  12m aluminum inside  16mm tube 1mm wall capped and held by  curtain rods, Holes drilled and nail screw pin locks it all a variable locations

arod.jpg

We certainly do have window winders @Jewelleryrescue. Great thinking!

Mitchell

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Good afternoon all,

OK so for now I'll build a standard window cover to give me some much needed shade; I have 2 pieces of chipboard in great condition which I'd like to use. They are both 1350L x 910W. One window is horizontal and 1300L, and one is 93L. I'm thinking that I could give the chipboard panels 2 coats of paint, would they be suitable for permanent outdoor fixing? Also, I was thinking if I use hinges, I can open or close them (with whatever method I end up with), if required, or I could use stays to fix them permanently. Does Bunnings have any stays that angle the panel on a 45o angle? I can only find ones that are at 90o, like I have linked below. I'm going to say that the panels weigh around 5kg each.

Austyle Hinge 

Stay 

Cheers,

Jason

IMG_9268 - Copy.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects